Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes After Boot Up

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sunship

sunship

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:41 PM

Hello,

I am new to this site and I am in need of help. If someone can point me in the right direction, I would greatly appreciate it. My computer freezes up after boot up. It will not allow me to do anything. Sometimes, even cntl-alt-del will not even work.

I am successful in booting up in safe mode. I am going to attempt to connect to the internet through "Safe Mode with Networking".

Where should I go from here? Does it sound like something in my start-up items? Should I use hijackthis and compare it to BleepingComputers start up database, and then turn off questionable items?

Any help is great. Thanks in advance.

-Sunship

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Micht

Micht

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:48 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:51 PM

i think that better way is to reinstall windows. :-)

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,496 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:04 PM

Do you have any other reasons to suspect malware? Try an online scan with Bit Defender and let it quarantine whatever it finds. Suggest you run whatever security programs you have now on your computer in safe mode. Do you have Hijack This installed on your computer? You can install it from a CD if you can't get online in regular mode.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/126459-1/article.html

The Hassle: My PC freezes periodically. How do I unfreeze it without losing my work or having to reboot?

The Fix: In Task Manager, select the Processes tab, choose Explorer.exe, and click End Process. (Just ignore the scary message.) Select File, New Task (Run...), type explorer, and click OK.

The Hassle: Your advice helped me unfreeze my system--but it keeps happening, and I can't go on like this. What now?

The Fixes: Start with the usual suspects: Scrub your Temp and Internet cache folders. Then run Windows' Check Disk utility with Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors checked. (Open My Computer, right-click the drive, select Properties, choose the Tools tab, and click the Check Now button under 'Error-checking'.) Also, send your antispyware and antivirus tools into action.

No luck? Try getting rid of damaged ActiveX programs. From Control Panel, choose Internet Options, the General tab, Settings, and View Objects. Right-click to delete any items marked 'Damaged' in the Status column. You might have a corrupted file, so run System File Checker to verify (and, if necessary, reinstall) those files on your system: Click Start, Run, and then type CMD. In the command window, type sfc /scannow and wait awhile; the scan seems to take forever to complete.

If your PC is still having problems, they may be more deep-rooted. You'll have to try a few techniques to figure out which program or process is causing the freezing. Sysinternals has three superb free diagnostic tools. FileMon gives you a real-time view of every running program and lets you know what it's doing, recording and time-stamping each action an app takes; watch for a specific program's behavior just before a freeze. RegMon does the same for the Registry, while Process Explorer does the dirty work on Windows processes.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users