Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Everquest II

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:10 PM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 08:39 PM

:flowers: Hello All.. My son bought himself this computer game. When he bought it he didn't realize that it requires a subscription. Well that is a pain.. but he will just have to work it off. Now the problem is that he received an error stating the video card needed at least 4 texture units. What are texture units and is there a way to work around this error? If I have to upgrade my video card.. for this infernal game... how much is this gonna soak me for? How do I know how many texture units my video card has now? I also would like to know if there is a way he can get out from under this game completely. Like maybe go directly thru the company.. get a refund or something?? This Everquest II has been so difficult to deal with. Truly I am at my wits end with this game. :trumpet: :inlove: :bike: If anyone has any ideas how I can get this situation behind me I would so grateful. :thumbsup:

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

Hide not your talents. They for use were made. What's a sundial in the shade?

~ Benjamin Franklin

I am a Bleeping Computer fan! Are you?

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 08:45 PM

well, Mom... unfortunately mums the word from me. I know, I know...I'm no Help!! :flowers: Sorry, I know nuthin' ' bout Everquest One let alone Two... and I just don't buy stuff very often. Thatdoesn't mean I don't hope you get a good, straight answer & SOON, by the sounds of it. :thumbsup: :trumpet: :inlove:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 09:04 PM

Now that you have loaded the nine CDs that came with the game, I can tell you that even with a good video card, there will be problems with lags and freezes at times,even with the ingame settings designed for optimal performance. My own view of the game is that it has a very poor user interface, the game play itself has some major flaws, and even though the first month is free, it is not worth spending a monthly fee to play. (The fee part is clearly stated on the front of the box).

The video card must be DirectX9 compatible, and it must have a pixel shader and vertex shader with at least 128MB of video memory. The game was, as the creators have said, designed more for the video cards of the future, than for what most players currently have.And you will need at least 512MB RAM, as well.

Expect to pay between $125-200 for a decent video card.

Hope this helps, Pandy.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 11:28 PM

Thanks John. Your info does help. Altho I have the 512MB ram. I do not have the pixel shader and whatnot for the video card. I think my son has learned a lesson. LOL It did say on the box that it came with a 30 day subscription. I didn't see it tho when he bought it. And he didn't look closely. That is one hard lesson. I do not think he will be able to get a refund from SOE either. You are right about this game just not being worth the money. I wish he'd have just stuck with his NeverWinter Nights. hehe Anyhow he has cancelled his subscription. Looks like he is stuck for the 50 bucks.

Do not anticipate trouble, or worry about what may never happen. Keep in the sunlight.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 12:47 AM

Well tell your son I have played EQ2 and am not happy with it at all. There are other and better online games to play. Maybe he can take it back and exchange it for something else.
Cheers,
John

#6 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:01 AM

Hmm I guess copyright laws prevent a refund if the box has been opened. Like you can try it out without opening it. LOL They said he could exchange it for the exact same thing. So helpful that.. I will pass along what you say about the EQ2. I am hoping he can get a refund directly from the company... the store certainly wasn't any help. He was going to BUY a prepaid game card for it if he could find one.. we weren't able to tho.. thank my lucky stars lol.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#7 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 PM

Posted 03 January 2005 - 01:20 AM

Like you can try it out without opening it. LOL

Good point.
Bad store.
Thanks for the heads up.

Fifty Dollar Lesson. :thumbsup: Ouch.

We all live & learn, Pandy. Tell your son
phawgg posted an angry emoticon on his behalf. :trumpet:

There will be smilie faces in the future, though. :flowers:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#8 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 10:51 AM

Maybe he can sell (or trade) the game to someone at school, since he has not, as I read it, used any of the free time, and still has the registration code. The ten cds could always be made into Christmas ornaments or coasters.
And, I think, he probably learned a lesson---always read everything on the box (even the very small print that contains the specifications) or ask the salesperson whether he can play the game on his PC. I too, learned this the hard way.
Cheers,
John

#9 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 11:00 AM

Well I am sure that my brother could use those 10 CD's for his technologies class, John. LOL I told the son that he had better just keep his eyes open and PAY ATTENTION. I cannot believe the amount of grief that this mistake has caused me. :thumbsup:

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#10 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 11:17 AM

I can imagine. A new game that can't be played can be a real frustration. I have an unopened Doom3 that awaits my switching to XP (and it will probably wait a long time, LOL). Maybe someone in his class would like the game.
Cheers,
John

#11 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 11:32 AM

He is going to try to unload it on some other poor unsuspecting kid I guess lol.. but he will make sure they know about the subscription tho.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

#12 Static

Static

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:22 PM

I just purchased the game as well and had the exact same problem however i just bought a new vid card with 128 mb geforce and i still get the texture 4 required message :thumbsup:

Edited by Static, 24 January 2005 - 02:23 PM.

#13 Pandy

Pandy

Bleepin'

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9,559 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2005 - 02:28 PM

Huh I had an e-mail notification someone was in my thread. LOL Hiya static.. well I guess we are glad we didn't get the video card. Hmm my son gave up on it and uninstalled all those CD's. We never could get it to work right. I hope you find the solution.

:thumbsup: to BC also. :trumpet: :flowers:

Edited by Pandy, 24 January 2005 - 02:29 PM.

~ Benjamin Franklin

Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users