Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anyone Know About T1 Lines?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:39 PM

I want to get a t1 line for internet service. I know they are like 300+ at best most of the time 600 bucks or so.

Does anyone know the price per mile you have to pay for the fiber lines? Anyone got one installed and can tell me what it took?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:17 PM

You would be looking at several thousand dollars just to run the fiber optics. Contact local ISPs for cost estimates. For your situation a satellite system would be more cost effective.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:47 PM

Ware Shoals T1 Service Provider Search Engine!

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:53 PM

Spent a year advocating to try and get our service here upgraded to T1.It was actually slated to happen,but as bureaucracy would have it....it seemed to drag on and on...
In the end,they decided there wasn't a large enough user base,so was a no-go.

CGM,You have to apply to your Regional District (thats what we call it here in rural B.C.),before you can start running fiber optic lines.
Then you also have to have an ISP that is set up and willing to take on the service.

I agree with TheTerrorist_75, it's a very expensive project and satellite is probably your best bet.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,735 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

The question is why would you want a T1? At a measly 1.5 Mbps, it's just barely broadband. Have you considered satellite?

Edited by ddeerrff, 26 January 2007 - 05:32 PM.

Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

The question is why would you want a T1? At a measly 1.5 Mbps, it's just barely broadband. Have you considered satellite?

I think it has to do with the "resale" side of it. I doubt he can resell any part of satellite or cable internet. T1/DS1 is the smallest bandwith that usually has the option of being resold. Thats my guess.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

#7 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:01 PM

Hi Animal,

I can sell my Satellite dish and/or Router once the service contract has expired with the ISP.
Best bet would probably be to an installer. As I recall, the fellow who did our installation gave us the option of purchasing gently "used" equipment.
Would have a difficult time with "resale" of satellite equipment if it is outdated tho....
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,733 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:34 PM

TMacK,

Sorry I wasn't clear. The "resale" I was referring to is to resell portions of the bandwidth. Multiplexing the bandwidth and selling portions to offset his overall cost. That was what I got out of his original plan. Not selling the "hardware" per se.

Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

#9 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

Well Duh..I should have figured That one out Animal!
Reselling Fiber Optic cable??...Sure thing! Posted Image

There is actually a 'Commercial' class system CGM can get into if he has to go Satellite.The community system can serve 5-30 computers,will cost $1500. installed and then about $200. a month.

I haven't checked if GalaxyBroadband is all across North America,but they are the distributors for HughesNet.

Just some food for thought....
Chaos reigns within.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#10 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:38 PM

Yes its the biz part of the dedicated t1 that lets me resale it.

I have a system set up to broadcast wifi as far away as 13 miles.

Why do with t1? Its dedicated not shared.

At a measly 1.5 Mbps

I laugh at that because of my situation. Curious how fast of internet do you have?

I'd be happy with 300kbps I have a whopping 42kbps right now.

A lot of people around here in my area are in the same shoes.

If at all possible I want to sale it to neighbors(in the range) to help them out.

Problem with sattelite.

Latency....
And the main one. Its un-reliability. I have heard bad things about some of the top companies of sattelite internet.

Like it cutting off and on in bad weather and being slow as dial up in peak hours.

If you know of a good sattelite company to point me to with t1 and higher internet thats reliable with good latency rates(maybe a 1 radio style for latency) then point me I would appreciate it.

If I sale internet I will have to install the router and antenna and line it up to my tower.

I have been talking to a internet reseller in montanna for the last week or so and he is the one thats telling me how it works and what he does.

He will be selling me my parts for me and my customers.

I have checked the shopfort1 site before. Is it accurate? There is a t1 with a 1 year contract and only 546 bucks a month.

It only shows my local phone co. as the seller of it.

UPDATE: Added my coverage area estimate(might increase once I upgrade the tower another 10-20ft higher will post new results if I get them to work)

This is my coverage area estimate according to terrain charts and all the other factors(tower heigh,repeater power and antenna)

Posted Image

A laptop should be able to pick up and use the signal prob in a 1 mile radius of the tower just because the transmitters in laptop arent that powerful. You could
buy a wireless card and antenna for this purpose for 120 bucks and you could get it probably within a 5 mile radius. Most wifi repeaters from linksy you buy in best buy has
just 50mw's for transmition. The repeater I am getting for the tower I think is over 400mw(for sure 400 but might be 450) and the special laptop cards are 200mw's.

Edited by cowsgonemadd3, 26 January 2007 - 11:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users