Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Extends Windows Xp Support To 2014

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:02 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:21 AM

Microsoft on Wednesday extended support for its Windows XP Home and Windows XP Media Center operating systems through 2014...Previously, all support for Windows XP Home was slated to end two years after the release of Vista, in other words, at the end of January 2009...

informationweek.com.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:39 AM

That is excellent news. I was not looking forward to having to acquire a completely new system just because of a forced change to VISTA.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#3 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 03:56 AM

That's interesting. By coincidence, isn't that the projected release date for Vienna? Don't tell me the profits of doom are correct. Is MS having second thoughts about Vista and rlegating it in there organisation to the same status as Millenium? If they are, I would be inclined to agree to a worthwhile decision.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:19 AM

Actually, I think it's the Enterprise folks that are driving this "wagon". Can you imagine the cost to upgrade 20,000 or more PC's to Vista? And, for the Enterprise folks - what benefit does an upgrade to Vista give them? They'll still be running their apps that were designed for XP (for the most part). Upgrading to Vista is expensive - then add the cost of upgrading their apps to it!

FYI - my wife's office used Win95 up until about 3 years ago. They had no need to upgrade, and the proprietary software that they used didn't need Windows to run. Also, they had dialup, and it had been setup on the Win95 system for a long, long time - so they were comfortable.

Around the time I came into my wife's life, the software writer for my wife's proprietary software decided to upgrade their software to a Windows only version that required a cable/DSL connection also. The wife's office was forced to upgrade to XP because of this. How soon will the software writer change to a Vista only version? Not soon (I believe). They support many small businesses like my wife's - and the writer didn't even know what Vista was when I talked to her last month!

Edited by usasma, 27 January 2007 - 08:20 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:57 PM

I agree with you, Usasma. In addition, and at least for some time, there will be applications that are not compatible with Vista (for example the ISP Netscape for dial-up users). Most enterprise use of Windows is tied to proprietary or purchased software; testing the interface may not be a quick and simple task.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:02 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:15 AM

I can imagine the nightmare. And even when the software has been designed to work with the new operating system, the cost for businesses and institutions to upgrade not only the operating system but all the software and then training all the employees in using it is astronomical. I also wonder how many would have to also upgrade their hardware in order to accomodate the new operating system.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:55 AM

the software writer for my wife's proprietary software decided to upgrade their software to a Windows only version that required a cable/DSL connection also.

I've worked at companies that are using ancient software. One insurance company is using DOS software and Win98SE computers with an NT server. What a nightmare. They can't import the data for many years of business into newer software and their ancient 200 mhz machines are dying.

#8 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 04:45 AM

Yes, I have the same local experience. There is a local, and large) farm and garden machinery repair facility here. They are still using DOS with a dos based dBase (Dbase4) for their spare parts. They have managed to get on the Internet, but there are huge problems with cross reference. I even offered them my time (their money, for the soft and hardware) to install a newer system but they were to thrifty to be interested.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users