Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Increase Visability Of Bc

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:09 AM

I can only say it has been a wild ride. I really owe it all the members and the staff. Without you BC would be a pretty empty place.

This is certainly a mark to remember. I have a few thoughts on how to increase "the visability " and accessability of BC. I will think them over and post them in a seperate post.

Please do...I am always open to new suggestions.

Why not start separate forums in other languages. For instance, as a start, translate the tutorials ( which I think are great and never heard of on the net)in other languages. It would be very easy to determine which language is required based on the member info. There would be a lot of volunteers ( I assume) to translate the tutorials in either language. ( Just shooting of the top of my head :thumbsup: )

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 tink536

tink536

**pixie in training**

• Members
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:47 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:48 AM

I think the translations are a great idea.

Just a question, though, would there need to be helpers that speak the various different languages so as to help users with further questions and HJT analysis?
I wouldn't doubt that they already exist here. :thumbsup:

Posted Image
Posted Image
I search for Sjogrens Syndrome Foundation...Who will you search for?

#3 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:45 AM

I think the intentions are good,but I wonder whether there would be enough demand for this.
My wife's native tongue is German,and I'm always asking her,whats the German word for this English word,and I often get the reply,there isn't one.Maybe there might be some hiccups in translation.
YourHighness would no doubt know the feaseability of something like your proposeing.

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:48 AM

I think it would be too great of an undertaking to translate the forums into other languages. I can add other language packs so that people can switch the language of the forum, but that only affects the forum text itself not the text of the posts etc.

The problem with the translating of the tutorials is that I as the author will have no idea if the translated work contains the information that I was trying to get across. Its hard to just allow someone to translate the tutes with out any ability to confirm the translation.

#5 fozzie

fozzie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:44 PM

I think it would be too great of an undertaking to translate the forums into other languages. I can add other language packs so that people can switch the language of the forum, but that only affects the forum text itself not the text of the posts etc.

The problem with the translating of the tutorials is that I as the author will have no idea if the translated work contains the information that I was trying to get across. Its hard to just allow someone to translate the tutes with out any ability to confirm the translation.

I already forecasted the "trust issue "which is completely understandable. ( None taken)

Especially on in the elder age range a lot of people do not manage English as well as to go through the tuts and manuals. In our country more and more elderly people are getting access to the internet ( for them a very dangereous world) and I would really love to be of some assistance to them based on the high quality info which is available over here. The forum heading in different languages would be great. I assume that is depending on user settings?

My wife's native tongue is German,and I'm always asking her,whats the German word for this English word

that explains the german word you used in one of the word games :thumbsup: :flowers: :trumpet:

#6 need TOS

need TOS

• Members
  • 888 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:20 PM

I was thinking about that and it would be really hard to do all of that. We would need others to help in that language. Would take alot of time. Like when translating from english to French and vice versa you have to take into account the structur, vocabulary, agreement, etc etc. Maybe just a www.bleepingcomputer.fr and start a new one for french, .de for german etc, just the major languages.

(BTW: I could help with some of the French :thumbsup: )

Edited by need TOS, 26 January 2007 - 10:20 PM.

Forgiveness is forgetting about a past that could have been

#7 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,713 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:18 PM

Word-for-word translations rarely convey the proper meaning even when correcting for the different syntax. Language embodies culture, and every language has concepts and ideas that isn't contained in other languages. The best translation is still an approximation. Have you ever read two different authoritative translations of the same work? There are frequently vast differences between them caused by and resulting in very different understandings of the text by the translators and readers.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#8 fozzie

fozzie

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:49 AM

As allways you have a point there Orange Blossem.. Right on the head!!! :trumpet:
I assume ( eventhough assumptions are veeeery dangereous) that part of the running costs of BC are paid by advertisements income. If we would have a multi lingual platform this for sure will increase our member count i.e. increase BC's income. A start would be that the search elements for Google are filled with the largest languages ( i.e. French/German/Portuguese/Spanish/Dutch:hysterical: :thumbsup: :flowers: Perhaps a place where members could post a 1 lined post to indicate that they problems in reading an advise or tut whether this would help. if you look at where our members are coming from "BC SPAN'S THE GLOBE"

#9 DSTM

DSTM

"Bleepin' Aussie Addict"

• Members
  • 2,649 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:07 AM

Word-for-word translations rarely convey the proper meaning even when correcting for the different syntax. Language embodies culture, and every language has concepts and ideas that isn't contained in other languages. The best translation is still an approximation. Have you ever read two different authoritative translations of the same work? There are frequently vast differences between them caused by and resulting in very different understandings of the text by the translators and readers.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Your right Orange Blossom,and a perfect example of this is the BIBLE.

Edited by DSTM, 27 January 2007 - 06:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users