Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Hd Do I Need For My Dell Notebook?

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 nathansdad04

nathansdad04

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:50 PM

My Dell 9300 HD is going bad (I think)...so I want to upgrade my HD. I have no idea what drive I need or even where the best place to buy them is.
I'm looking for something like a 100GB drive. I was thinking maybe a Seagate or Hitachi. Could someone recommend a drive? This the laptop I have:

Inspiron 9300,Pentium M 740 (1.73GHz/533MHz FSB)
17 inch UltraSharp Wide ScreenXGA+ Display for Inspiron 9300 $0.00
512MB, DDR2, 533MHz 2 Dimm, for Inspiron 9300 $0.00
ATI Mobility Radeon X300 64MB HyperMemory Video Card for Inspiron 9300 $0.00
60GB Ultra ATA Hard Drive for Inspiron 9300 $0.00

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005, English, without Media, for Inspiron $0.00
Integrated 10/100 Network Cardand Modem, for Inspiron $0.00
Adobe Acrobat Reader 6.0, for Inspiron $0.00
8X DVD+/-RW Drive for Inspiron9300 $0.00

BTW: Why does my present HD state that my HD is only 51.1 GB instead 60GB?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:53 AM

Probably the restore partition and the diagnostics partition.

All the new dells that I have seen have a recovery partition which holds all your original software.

remember, hard drives are advertised in base 10 numbers, but computers work in hexadecimal (base 16)

so, 1 gig = 1000 mb which is really 1024 mb formatted.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:17 AM

Keep in mind, if the recovery partition is on the drive that is going bad and the HD goes, so does the recovery software. Newegg has a good selection of drives. I like Western Digital and Seagate drives the best, no experience with Hitachi.

3939.png

#4 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:51 AM

Here's a 7200rpm 100GB Seagate. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16822146230

They also have a 120GB Seagate on there for $40 cheaper, but it's a 5400rpm, so it's a little bit slower.
Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:12 AM

Go with a 7200 rpm drive if you can afford it - the extra performance is worth the money.

I've had good experience with Seagate and Western Digital. I'm very slightly less satisfied with Hitachi/IBM - but it's not a big thing.

Check how full your hard drive is now - if it's nearing full, then spring for the extra storage. If it's less than 1/4 full, then get the original size.

Use a cloning utility from the hard drive manufacturer's web page to clone the old drive to the new one. If possible, uninstall the hard drive in Device Manager before shutting down for the last time before making the clone - this will enable Windows to autodetect the new drive without problems. If this is too hard to do, then ensure that you have the Dell recovery CD's before starting this.

Edited by usasma, 26 January 2007 - 08:13 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:07 PM

I think I'm going to go with the Seagate 5400rpm. I don't do anything that requires faster data retrieval. What do I need to transfer the data from the bad HD to the new?
I have no idea WHAT I'm supposed to be transferring to the new HD and HOW I go about doing it.
If you could....I need instructions that a computer illiterate would understand. Terms like partitions etc etc are foreign to me.

#7 Joshuacat

Joshuacat

01001010 01000011

• Members
  • 1,950 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

I going to jump back a step...
Most Dell's come with a Diagnostic CD that you can use to check to see if there is a problem with the hardware in your computer. Run the diagnostic test to confirm that you exactly have a problem with your hard disk. Is there any chance that your computer is still under warranty?

Since you do suspect that you are having hard disk problems, make sure that you have all of you important data backed up before you attempt anything. (To disk, CD, DVD, or USB thumb drive)

Edit:
If you don't have the Diagnostic CD, you can download it here - http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/...88&vercnt=1

Edited by Joshuacat, 26 January 2007 - 08:58 PM.

JC

#8 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:04 PM

This is the second time in 4-6 months that I've got a DST short test fail. This time I was able to run chkdsk /r and fix errors on the volume(whatever that means)./
When I did an error check it's not able finish. I just did a huge defrag using diskkeeper(7hours to finish it) then the problem started at next startup.
When my system crashed last time(months ago)...it started with run/stop blue screens intermittently then quit after attempting defrags. Everything i've read points to the hard drive failing, but god only knows if the problem is really the hard drive or not. When I ran diagnostics...i think the dst short test was the only thing that failed.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:35 AM

If you can get into Windows, you can just copy your important stuff to a partition on the new hard drive by using a USB drive caddy. You can copy it to a flash drive, or to CD/DVD media.

If you can't get into Windows, then you'll have to slave the drive to another computer to copy your stuff. Once again the USB drive caddy will come in handy for this.

Since this occurred after doing a huge defrag - I'd really suspect the hard drive's file system (and the chkdsk results tend to support this). So, the best diagnostic for your hard drive is the one available at the hard drive manufacturer's website. You can usually download a bootable CD to run the test from outside of Windows. These downloads are usually free also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:05 PM

I tried to make the dowloadable CD from here http://www.hgst.com/hdd/support/download.htm
I've never used an ISO file so I don't know how to burn it properly to CD. I thought i did it correctly, but it didn't boot up when I turned on the computer ( I have my laptop set to check the the CD first when booting)\
Any advice?

#11 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:38 PM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 06:35 PM

Use the F12 key when starting, and still in the bios: then select the cd rom, and hit enter.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#12 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:34 AM

Here's a free ISO burner that doesn't require installation: http://www.silentnight2004.com/microburner.html

Ensure that you select ISO CD/DVD in the menu - then select the drive that you're burning to, then select the .iso that you'll burn to the CD, then select "Burn ISO" in the top left of the Microburner screen.

#13 nathansdad04

nathansdad04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 98 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 09:01 PM

Ok...I must be a complete idiot cause I can't burn with the Microburner. I downloaded the iso file(using Firefox browser)....it downloaded to my desktop. I opened My Computer and then program files and then dragged the ISO from my desktop to program files.
Then I opened microburner and clicked iso/cd/dvd icon. the program opened and I dragged the iso from the right-aide pane and dragged it to the left 'burn' pane. I clicked 'build iso' and in an instant it said the 'burn done'...I didn't even have a CD in yet! I also tried to click burn iso(w/o clicking build iso) neither way worked. What the heck am i doing wrong?

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2007 - 05:57 PM

On the first menu, you must click on ISO CD/DVD. On the next menu you must select the drive that you're going to burn to FIRST, then drag the files over, then click on "Burn ISO".

Building an ISO will result in an ISO being created from the files that you select - this is different than burning an ISO to a CD/DVD.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users