Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet Explorer Freezes

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 cuzinwhitebread

cuzinwhitebread

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:49 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:09 PM

my internet explorer keeps freezing up when i use the internet. the rest of my computer works fine, its just when i get on the internet. is there a program i can run to see if i am missing files? i had a virus once i got rid of it, i ended up having to restore my computer and it worked fine the first couple of days and then thats when the problems started. i ran this mcafee removal tool and afterwards i got a message saying some possible vital files have been deleted and that i need to insert my windows cd to retrieve them, but my computer didnt come with the right one i guess, because when i put the one i have in, it said it was teh wrong disk that i need "cd2" or something like that. i dont know what else to do.

derek

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 25 January 2007 - 11:16 PM.

The coolest thing since sliced bread

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Herk

Herk

• Members
  • 1,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:49 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:58 PM

There shouldn't be a CD 2 if you're using a regular Windows XP. There could be one if you have a set of restore disks.

The correct way to search for missing or corrupt files is to use the System File Checker.

Go to the Start button, then click "run" and in the resulting dialog box type:

sfc /scannow

. . . and hit enter. Notice the space between the c and the /.

It will scan your computer and ask for the XP disk if necessary, but it will also be able to pull some files from the i386 folder. It may work. Reboot your computer after running SFC.

Otherwise, you may have to repair IE. Now, I'm not sure that the same thing works for Internet Explorer 7 that works for Internet Explorer 6, and you didn't mention which version you have. If you have Automatic Updates turned on, you may have 7. If your icon for Internet Explorer has a fancy gold band around a blue globe, it's the new version.

This works for 6:

1) From the Start menu, select Search, select All Files and Folders.
2) Select More Advanced Options and place a checkmark beside Search Hidden Files and Folders option.
3) Ensure that Search System Folders and Search Subfolders are also checked.
4) In the All or Part of the File Name box, type ie.inf
5) In the Look In drop-down menu, select C: or the letter of the hard drive that contains the Windows folder.
6) Click the Search button.
7) In the search results pane, find the ie.inf file located in Windows\Inf folder.
8) Right click the ie.inf file and click Install on the context menu.
9) Reboot the computer when the file copy process is complete.

Or, you can try uninstalling IE from Add/Remove Programs and then install it again.

There's some interesting info at this page.

#3 cuzinwhitebread

cuzinwhitebread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:56 AM

i did ran that scan and it still asked for the cd. i tried to do the search/install and again it asks for the cd. i'm lost.

Posted Image

#4 cuzinwhitebread

cuzinwhitebread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 03:01 AM

i'm going to try this firefox browser and see how it goes.

Posted Image

#5 cuzinwhitebread

cuzinwhitebread
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 102 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:00 PM

firefox seems to be working