Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Only One Ide On This Motherboard ; ;

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:52 PM

So I just bought a new motherboard, a new system really. I kept my old harddrive and dvd drives because i figured, they're all universal.

I forgot, my DVD drives are IDE.

The board i have has only one IDE slot. Doest hat mean i have to buy a new dvd drive for this system that has Sata. SHould i just get a new HD and DVD drive for that matter?

Are they're anyw ays around this? ; ; HELP! ; ;

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:55 AM

put the dvd drives on the ide connection, and just buy a new SATA hard drive.

Edited by oldf@rt, 26 January 2007 - 12:55 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:33 AM

You can also purchase a PCI ATA controller card that will give you two more IDE ports. There are also some ATA/SATA adapters floating around there, but I don't know that I'd trust them all that much.
Posted Image

#4 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:55 AM

yea arcman, i looked around, they didnt look trustworthy.

Well i guess thats it. Gonna buy a Sata HD tomarrow.

::sigH:: more moneys...

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:44 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:26 AM

If money is a big constraint, you can get the ATA controller for $50 or less. A new SATA drive will be better suited for newer hardware if you're in the market, though.
Posted Image

#6 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:31 AM

If you want the cheapest solution, you can find a SATA DVD-burner for $25.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#7 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:02 PM

Eeeh, i can live with having my dvd drives on Ide.

I bought a HD, 250gig for 80 dollars. EIGHTY DOLLARS. I was so happy. I said to msyelf "well its 120 bucks, but...250gigs, it will last me a while".

Only to find out its on sale. OH YEA!.

anyways...now to hook this up and try to transfer all my files onto a few dvd's.

Now the question that i have now is...how worried should I be about jumpers and all that good stuff on the motherboard? Should I wing it, or really research it first. Im afraid i'll turn it on and bleep everything up.

Also, I have a boatload of fans, and when i look at everything, i dont think i have enough connectors to the power supply for all of them (They do hook up to the power supply, right?). Any suggestions? Do i just get a better power supply?

#8 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 AM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 05:35 AM

Now the question that i have now is...how worried should I be about jumpers and all that good stuff on the motherboard? Should I wing it, or really research it first. Im afraid i'll turn it on and bleep everything up.

Read the motherboard manual. When it comes to building a computer it is your bible.

Also, I have a boatload of fans, and when i look at everything, i dont think i have enough connectors to the power supply for all of them (They do hook up to the power supply, right?). Any suggestions? Do i just get a better power supply?

You can hook them all to the same connector.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#9 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:38 AM

Same connector? You lie...YOU LIEE!!!!

maybe...ill check it out when I finally open up the case and continue building.

Thanks everyone ^__^ You guys are awesome!

#10 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 02:58 PM

Ugh. New issue.

I have waaay too many wires. Some wires i dont even know where to put. Some i think are for the LED panel, but I dont know which ones. There are wires coming from the top of the case (Fans on top) that are unmarked, and look like they should be to the power supply. Maybe those are to the fans? Who knows!

I have an extra HDD LED Wire to the motherboard, I have little tiny plugs that say "Port +" and "Port -", and...the best part...little test strips that say "Harddrive" + "VGA" + "CPU". They look lke they could be for judging temperature for the LED front display.

can anyone offer advice ; ; im swimming in wires and i dont know what goes to what!
-----

edit: Christ, i have to be retarded. I plugged everything in, followed the instructions...and it wont even power on ! ; ; I honestly dont know what to do.

-----

edit: OH GREAT! Power supply shorted. Thats what i get for getting a cheap PSU. 30 bucks for 550 watts, too good to be true -_-a

Edited by Artistbydefault, 27 January 2007 - 06:58 PM.

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 09:41 AM

Read the manual that came with the motherboard - them little wires will kill you! I've left many of them off just because they were too much trouble to hook up (but some must be hooked up or the system won't function right).

Take your time and puzzle out the instructions - ask questions about them. Let us know what the make and model of your motherboard is and maybe we can find an online manual to help you out. Also, check the documentation that came with your case (online again) to see if they've got any instructions.

Be sure when you hook stuff up - hooking stuff up at random is a sure way to fry stuff. And the damage may not be limited to your PSU - a surge could have taken out other components.

Edited by usasma, 28 January 2007 - 09:42 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 Artistbydefault

Artistbydefault
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:53 PM

Im leaning towards the PSU was a piece of crap. Honestly, 550watts for 25 dollars, i should have known better.

But I also think i might have shorted it out because I didn tbuild it outside of the case first. When buying the new harddrive (I forgot to order that through new egg, i forgot the board had only one ide), I asked the guy who worked there about any kind of precaution i should take for shorting anything out. He suggested the destatic wristband with grounding wire.

So yes, i built everything in the box, and thats probally what happened.

Now the new question is...where do I go from here?

I diagnosed everything. The PSU is shot. But the interesting thing is this...I hooked up my old PSU (400w) to the new system (minimum of 300w)...it turned on, wouldnt post though. Green light, fans turned on, and then it turned off. After thinking about it, it possibily could be one of 2 things.

1)the PSU isnt putting out enough juice, which isnt likely because its minimum is 300.

2)the Motherboard is shot, and either the PSU debacle screwed it up, or i shorted it by not building out the box.

What do you guys think?

And if the motherboard is shot, then i have to return them.

Either way, im thinking thats the solution for both, replacing both.

#13 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 08:05 AM

It could also be that the memory is shot or the video card is shot. You'll have to remove all hardware that you can in order to narrow down the possibilities.

But first you'll have to get it to stay on long enough to run the tests. I'd suggest trying another video card and maybe testing the RAM in another system. This will help to rule them out as the source of the problem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users