Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Video Card Fan Not Moving

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:00 PM

Long story short one day my screen went 'bleh' as in it had jagged slashes across it as if though slashed by a combat knife. Okay.. so I turn it off, and restart. Problem is still there and I can't get into Windows because the screen 'crashes' pretty much. No odd noises or anything of that matter.

I unplug my monitor and try another. Same problem. I figure it's the video card. So I purchase a new one two days ago, get it today, plug her in and turn the machine on. Suddenly I smell something burning. Quickly turn it off and take it out. Can't really tell if it's the card burning as the smell is everywhere, but faint.

So lastly I put the card back in.. and the fan isn't running, mind you, I didn't check if the fan was running before because almost instantly I smelled the burning and turned it off. I took out the 'new' card and tried the old one which would at least display a picture temporarly. Now even my old card's fans aren't moving.

I've tried using different power plugs from my power supply but I get nothing for the new card, no screeching or anything. I tried a different power plug for my old card and I get a screeching noise but the fan isn't moving.

Please don't tell me my machine is dead. I can't afford another motherboard let alone know how to install it. The card was a NVIDIA GeForce 6800 AGP. The same card my computer previously had just a different brand. It fit in and all no problem. I have no more graphic cards to try. Is it possible a setting from my power supply or something I can do hardware wise?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Peaches*

Peaches*

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

does your card require the separate 12v rail. Maybe in-order for your cards fan to spin you need that extra juice. The other thing you can do is bring your tower into a store with some technicians and just ask them to take a look. If they are just checking it out it should cost much. Hope that helps.

Peaches*
What else is in the Teaches of Peaches*? Like SEX on the Beaches...

#3 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:21 PM

Should have posted this as well. The video card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814141038
Posted Image

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:32 PM

Did the fan stop on the new card that you bought?

If the fan died on (fried) on both cards, then I'd be more apt to think that it was the power supply at fault rather than the cards themselves. You can test this by either replacing your power supply, or installing the cards on a different system to see if the fans spin. Of course, if the fans are dead on both cards, then this isn't really an option. You should also closely inspect your power supply, checking for blackness (from burning or smoke damage) and smell it to see if it emits a "burnt" odor.

The good news is that you can probably save your old card (and new one too if the fan is dead on that also) by buying an after market cooler for it (them). They're fairly inexpensive and usually do a better job cooling than the stock fan.

You should also ensure that the line going to your graphics card has nothing else plugged into it. This is so that it gets all the power that it needs, and doesn't have any thing else taking power away from that particular line.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#5 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:42 PM

Yes both fans stopped. That was the only computer with an AGP slot. I want to just plug in the new card to my current machine without plugging it into any slot to see if the fans will spin. But..

1. I'm worried I'll burn the last computer I have
2. See #1

Any chance that plugging in just the power from my working machine to the card will fry this computer as well? Hopefully the answer isn't as obvious as I think it is. Thank you for the replies.

Edit: Also, the rest fans on the motherboard and door run just fine when I turn the computer on as mentioned. Not sure if that makes a difference.
Edit2: I've also noticed that my card is supposed to have "two standard disk drive power plugs on the back end of the card". When I plug her up I only use a single plug, always have. Am I missing something?

Edited by Gunmeddle, 25 January 2007 - 04:59 PM.

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:14 PM

Since both fans stopped, I'd say it was your power supply that's at fault.

You should be able to power your card without inserting it into the AGP slot. I've done it a few times on a couple different machines with no adverse effects.

Some cards do have more than one connector for power. Some don't. Some have 2 different connectors for power...again, some don't. Chances are that you don't have a card that the manufacturer forgot to put a power connector on.

Personally, I'd replace the power supply before I plugged anything else into it. :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:33 PM

Thank you very much for taking the time out to reply. Just one last question before I burn another card.

Now, if I have my old card connected and the power plugged up I get no video and no fan. But.

If I unplug the power from it I get a super loud alarm sound.

Is this good or bad?

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:52 PM

That alarm is your computer telling you that there's no video, rather, there's something wrong with the video. It gives an audible alarm because it can't display a visual waring (no video!). It's not bad, it's just a different way of telling you that there's something funky with the video (usually just for lack of power). :flowers:

BTW, no question is a dumb question....except for one not asked. No staff member of BC will ever tell you that you've just asked a dumb question. Members that dare say this will be dealt with promptly. Please, by all means, feel free to ask any question that you like! We are here to help! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#9 Gunmeddle

Gunmeddle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:07 PM

I really do appreciate the help stevealmighty. I didn't get any response anywhere else and when I did I was just asked why I didn't already try 'the basics' which left me with a blank as I'm new to hardware. Thank you for treating me like a human being.

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:13 AM

That's a crying shame that you get treated like that elsewhere. You won't find any of that nonsense here. If you ever need anything, or have any questions at all, just make a post here, and we'll help you as best we can!

Hope to see you posting here in the future! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

#11 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:12 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:20 AM

That's a crying shame that you get treated like that elsewhere. You won't find any of that nonsense here. If you ever need anything, or have any questions at all, just make a post here, and we'll help you as best we can!

Hope to see you posting here in the future! :thumbsup:

Hear hear....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users