Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Amd Or Pentium.........?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 richybarber

richybarber

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:08 PM

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a new pc, mainly for gaming, I'm really struggling as to the best choice of processor, would you personally go for the the AMD 64 or the Pentium 4, also whats the difference between the Athlon & Sempron, would really be grateful for any advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:34 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:29 PM

The current king of the hill for processors is the Intel QX6700 Quad Core. The current crop of Intel Core 2 Duo's beats the pants off of AMD's best offerings.

But tomorrow's another day - and AMD may just up the ante with their next release.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:40 PM

Yeah, if you're making a gaming performance rig you want an Intel Core 2 Duo, unless you want to blow your whole wad on the quad core. The AMD processors just don't stack up for the price. You definitely don't want the Semprons, those are the budget processors like the Intel Celerons.
Posted Image

#4 Peaches*

Peaches*

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:34 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

Hey. Well right now at the moment intel has the better chip out. The Core 2 Duo is the best processor out right now. However you should check out the topic I started called waiting for technology. I've had comments about new stuff on the way, and I suggest you take a look. It looks like alot of new processor related products will be coming out around the summer time. As for the difference between sempron and athlon....sempron pretty much sucks, especially if your going for gaming. Your going to want a Dual core for gaming..no doubt. If you go the AMD route go for the X2 line. Intel, go for the Core 2 Duo. Your going to want something thats going to last. But I suggest waiting a bit, until summer. Alot of new products will be out, and you'll want a PC that can handle vista. I read in my PC World mag that vista does NOT slow down your computer too bad. They ran tests for multi-tasking, single tasks and gaming. But your still going to need a little extra muscle. 1 GB ram minimum, and 2 GB would be ideal.

Peaches*
What else is in the Teaches of Peaches*? Like SEX on the Beaches...

#5 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

Hi all, I'm looking to buy a new pc, mainly for gaming, I'm really struggling as to the best choice of processor, would you personally go for the the AMD 64 or the Pentium 4, also whats the difference between the Athlon & Sempron, would really be grateful for any advice.

AMD64 and P4 are both single core. Sempron is AMD's budget series. Right now, Intel's chips are the best, both in price and performance. The new Core 2 e4300 is very affordable, $166 US, and very overclockable (from 1.8 to 3.3 on stock cooling). The Core 2 is dual-core, same as the AMDX2 series. The only difference is that Core 2 is much better.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:57 AM

Go with the Core 2 processors. they are the best right now
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:08 AM

Go with the Core 2 processors. they are the best right now

The processor market is constantly changing. For a while Intel has the latest and greatest processor then AMD has it. It goes back and forth. At this time, the Core 2 processors are the best, especially the quad cores. Isn't four cores a little overkill with today's software? Developers are just starting to utilize dual cores.

3939.png

#8 richybarber

richybarber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:34 AM

well thats it, Intel Dual Core it is :thumbsup: , A very big thankyou for all your help & advice, look forward to talking to you all again soon.

Edited by richybarber, 26 January 2007 - 02:34 AM.

#9 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:18 PM

well thats it, Intel Dual Core it is :thumbsup: , A very big thankyou for all your help & advice, look forward to talking to you all again soon.

No, not intel Dual Core. It's Intel Core 2 Duo. CORE 2 DUO. Don't get Core Duo, don't get Core 2 Solo, don't get Pentium Dual Core.

Core 2 Duo.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:44 AM

Good point Detox! Thanks!

Also, be sure that the motherboard is able to support the Core 2 Duo. There are a lot of socket 775 motherboards out there that aren't able to support the Core 2 Duo - so read the specs carefully!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 richybarber

richybarber
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:20 AM

No, not intel Dual Core. It's Intel Core 2 Duo. CORE 2 DUO. Don't get Core Duo, don't get Core 2 Solo, don't get Pentium Dual Core.

Core 2 Duo.

Yep, understand......... just me in a hurry to get to work, (running late) Thanks :huh:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users