Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Change Desktop Image

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 donjuandavid

donjuandavid

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:42 PM

cannot change desktop image, all I can do is change the background color,
Please help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:25 PM

Do you get any error messages when trying to change your wallpaper?
Have you done anything recently to your system?
Have you installed any tweaking tools?
Have you installed any antispyware/antihijacking tools?
Have you scanned your system for viruses or malware?

Here's a couple of good, free online scans to double check your protection with:
http://safety.live.com
http://housecall.trendmicro.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 donjuandavid

donjuandavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:39 PM

I have run Spybot, Ad Aware, spyware blaster, spysweeper, AVG Anti virus, and also ran Smitfraud Fx, Cleared up awhole bunch of viruses and other stuff. I also ran Registry Machanic.

The desktop problem is not resent it has been going on for about a month before the viruses. I cannot change the wall paper under the display section, nor can I use a picture as a wallpaper, all I can do is change the back ground color, under Display properties/Desktop all the background images aare grayed out and I cannot click on them.

I also check the registry under (made no changes)
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\ActiveDesktop
for NoChangingWallPaper value and it is set at 0

please help

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:05 PM

Have you checked Spybot, Ad Aware, spyware blaster, spysweeper, etc to see if they're blocking the change to your wallpaper?

Also, removing some viruses can cause this behavior. Have you checked the HKLM key for this entry. Have you checked Group Policy to see if it's set in there (XPPro only).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:21 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:13 PM

http://malektips.com/windows_xp_display_desktop_0002.html

Cannot Change the Desktop Wallpaper

SUMMARY: If you cannot change your Windows XP desktop wallpaper because all options are disabled, view this tip.

A virus, certain spyware, a malformed registry, or other circumstances can transpire making it impossible for you to change the Windows XP desktop wallpaper. When you try to modify the background picture, neither the list of images nor the "Browse" button is clickable. If this happens, you can perform a registry tweak to restore the functionality. Note you must be an Administrator to perform this tip.

NOTE: Be careful what you are doing when modifying the registry as you can harm your computer or keep it from booting! Read the disclaimer.

1. Run "Regedit".

2. Navigate to: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\policies

3. If you see a folder (key) "ActiveDesktop" select it. If not, make a new key and label it "ActiveDesktop".

4. If you see "NoChangingWallPaper", double-click the DWORD value and set it to "0". Otherwise, you need to create a new DWORD value of "NoChangingWallPaper" and set it to "0".

5. Try changing your wallpaper. If this fix doesn't solve the problem, you may also need to make the above registry changes at location: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies .

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#6 donjuandavid

donjuandavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:59 PM

I have followed the registry changes and no help the desktop is now stuck in a white back ground and I cannot change the background color any longer.

--"Have you checked the HKLM key for this entry. Have you checked Group Policy to see if it's set in there (XPPro only)." ---> I donot know how to check this.

--Do you get any error messages when trying to change your wallpaper? no error message just cannot change the wallpaper or background color

--Have you done anything recently to your system? I ran spybot, ad aware, spywareblaster, cwshredder, and smitfrad fix

--Have you installed any tweaking tools?only registry mechanic

--Have you installed any antispyware/antihijacking tools? yes the above

--Have you scanned your system for viruses or malware?Yes, found some and got rid of them, I think?

The computer is running better there is no signs of any viruses or malware/spyware, the only problem is this desktop wallpaper. Could I still have a virus?

#7 donjuandavid

donjuandavid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:22 AM

I fixed the desktop problem, I got help from the microsft support site.

here is the link and info.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921049/

RESOLUTION
Warning Serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly by using Registry Editor or by using another method. These problems might require that you reinstall your operating system. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved. Modify the registry at your own risk.

To resolve this problem, follow these steps:1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
3. In the right-pane, right-click the NoDispAppearancePage value if the value exists, and then click Delete.
4. Repeat step 3 for the following registry values if these values exist in the registry: NoDispCPL
NoDispBackgroundPage
NoDispScrSavPage
NoDispSettingsPage

Note Locate any registry value that says "Wallpaper" if it exists. In the right pane, right-click the registry value, click Delete, and then click OK.
5. Locate and then click the following registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE_\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System
6. In the right-pane, right-click the NoDispAppearancePage value if the value exists, and then click Delete.
7. Repeat step 6 for the following registry values if these values exist in the registry: NoDispCPL
NoDispBackgroundPage
NoDispScrSavPage
NoDispSettingsPage

Note Locate any registry value that says "Wallpaper" if it exists. In the right pane, right-click the registry value, click Delete, and then click OK.
8. For the changes to take effect, you may have to restart the computer after you delete these registry values.

#8 usasma

usasma

• 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:55 AM

Wow! Thanks for letting us know what the fix was!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users