Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Yahoo Mail Not Exportable To Outlook Express6 ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 kokiage

kokiage

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:38 PM

It seems that Yahoo do not permit me to transfer my mail into my mail programme which is Outlook Express 6.
My OS is windowsXP Sp2

I have done all the settings suggested from anywhere (forums, tutorials, Microsoft,Yahoo..) though, its possible I misunderstood something.

I always get this error message:

''Unable to logon to the server using Secure Password Authentication. Account: 'Bibi', Server: 'pop.mail.yahoo.com', Protocol: POP3, Server Response: '-ERR popgate unknown command', Port: 995, Secure(SSL): Yes, Server Error: 0x800CCC90, Error Number: 0x800CCC18''

Please help me to find a solution to this error or a software, in order to download and archive my mails from Yahoo into my computer. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:12 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 06:33 PM

Hi kokiage, welcome to BC. :thumbsup:
As you found out, Yahoo does not allow the use of a pop3 mail client, like OE, to be used with a "free" yahoo mail account. You can use third party software like YPOPs, downloadable from here, to handle it. Read the "Configuring Mail Clients" documentation link on the left for setup instructions. I use it for my free Yahoo account with Outlook 03 and it works fine.

#3 kokiage

kokiage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:45 AM

thank you very much for definetly telling me the facts about Yahoo policy.

I have downloaded YahooPop 0.8.8. and now trying to follow the instructions about configuring my OE. But quite confusing, it seems to refer to another one, not OE6. I mean they do not match with the many options inside OE, like ports numbers etc.

Sorry could you explain me better?
I am not expert :thumbsup:

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:34 AM

Found at manufacterer's website this :

1. Select Tools -> Email accounts from the main menu
2. Select Add a new email account and click on Next
3. Select POP3 as the Server Type. Click Next
4. Enter your username and full Yahoo! email address under 'User Information'
5. Enter your Yahoo! Login id and password under 'Logon Information'
6. Enter '127.0.0.1' as your Incoming mail server
7. Enter '127.0.0.1' as the Outgoing mail server
8. Click on the More Settings button and select the Advanced tab
9. Increase the Server Timeout to 'Long' (5 minutes)
10. Select the Outgoing Server tab
11. Enable "My outgoing server (SMTP) requires authentication". Select "Log on using" and enter your Yahoo Mail address as the username and your Yahoo Mail password as the password.
12. Click Ok to close the More Settings dialog
13. Click Next and then Finish

Did you follow these instructions?

Is this the version of OE Microsoft Outlook Express 5, 5.5, 6

Edited by fozzie, 26 January 2007 - 07:35 AM.

#5 kokiage

kokiage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:25 AM

What you are showing me is just what is confusing me. I cannot follow these instructions.
Because steps are quite different.

E.g. I have : Tools/Accounts/Internet Accounts/Mail>Add>Mail>Internet Connection Wizard>Account Server Name>Finish.
Then I have to open Properties of the new account and I get different tabs with ports number blinkling and more option to click...

If you too use OE6 like me, please tell me how to do
hanks again

#6 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:11 AM

I think I see were the confusion is for you kokiage.
I don't normally use OE but launched it to test. I broke it down in as easy to follow steps as I could.

1. Open OE
2. Click Tools > Accounts.
3. Click the Mail tab
4. Click the Add button and select Mail. The Internet Connection Wizard Launches.
5. In the "Display Name" box, type the name you want to appear in your mail header (recipients will see this in the messages you send them) then click the "Next" button.
6. In the E-mail address box, enter your full yahoo address then click the "Next" button again.
7. In both incoming and outgoing dialog boxes, type 127.0.0.1 and click the "Next" button. You are now at the internet mail logon screen.
8. In the account name box, enter your full yahoo address, just as you did in step 6. In the password box, enter your yahoo mail account password. Click the "Next" button then click "Finish. You are now back at the internet accounts window.
9. Select the new account you just created, then click the "Properties" button.
10. Click the "Servers" tab. Make sure "remember my password" and "my server requires authentication" are both checked and "logon using secure password authentication" is not. On the "General" tab, make sure "include this account when receiving mail" is checked.
11. Click OK, then Close. Your done.

I know this is stating the obvious but YPOP's must be running while your checking your yahoo mail. You will also have to grant it permission (YPOPS.exe) within your firewall :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 26 January 2007 - 10:23 AM.

#7 kokiage

kokiage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:51 AM

so clear so kind!

I was successful thanks to your detailed instructions. I can now receive mail from first Yahoo box. (I have 3)

I am now studying how to download all messages stored in the 2 other Yahoo accounts. The most important ones to me.
I have noticed that:
>YPop downoad automatically without letting me schedule or even decide priorities
>Downloaded messages are stored in the Yahoo trash.

Is there any tutorials about how is the best way to do it?
My main purpose is to create an archive on my HD, do you have suggestions?

Thanks so much and keep ''stating the obvious''please

#8 HitSquad

HitSquad

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 06:44 AM

Hi again kokiage.

I am now studying how to download all messages stored in the 2 other Yahoo accounts. The most important ones to me.

You simply create new accounts as you did the first. The only difference is the name of the accounts and the yahoo username and password for each. You will notice that the first account you just created will be named 127.0.0.1. If you are creating multiple accounts you'll want to change the name so that you can tell the difference between them more easily. To do so, open OE. Click Tools>Accounts. Select the 127.0.0.1 account then click properties. On the "General" tab, change "127.0.0.1" to any name you prefer then click OK.

YPop downoad automatically without letting me schedule or even decide priorities

YPOPs doesn't do the downloading. It only allows your pop3 mail client, in your case OE, to talk to your yahoo account. Think of it as just a translator. It's OE itself doing the downloading. To control that within OE, you have two options:

1. If you click Tools>Options> General tab you can deselect the "Send and Receive Messages at Startup" option. Doing so will allow you to check each account individually using the Tools>Send and Recieve menu within OE. No accounts will be checked automatically when OE launches if you do this.
2. To tell OE which accounts to automatically check at startup, leave the option above checked.
Go to Tools>Accounts. Select the account then click the "Properties Button. On the "General" tab, deselect the "Include this account when receiving mail" option. You must do this for each account you have so that OE knows which ones to check at startup and which ones to ignore at startup, depending on your selection. You can still check the ignored ones manually using the Tools>Send and Receive menu. Follow?

Downloaded messages are stored in the Yahoo trash

Again, that is not YPOPs doing that but you can use YPOPs to control it.
Double click the YPOPs icon and select the "Receiving e-mail" option.
You will see three options.

1. Empty trash on exit - If selected, empty's yahoo's trash folder on exit.
2. Empty bulk mail on exit - If selected, empty's yahoo's bulk mail folder on exit.
3. Mark messages as unread on Yahoo mail server - If selected, will leave all read messages in Yahoo's inbox. In other words, nothing will go to the trash folder.

Keep in mind that leaving all your yahoo inbox messages unread may result in yahoo closing your account. It will be seen as inactive and automatically closed after an extended period of time. I would suggest you not enable option 3. Once you have downloaded them to your computer, there's really no need to keep copies on yahoo's mail server anyway. You can back them up using your own system if you want.

Also I would not setup OE to check any yahoo mail accounts automatically at startup where multiple accounts are involved. Yahoo's mail server is slow and has too many downtime issues. Checking them individually and manually is best. I was not aware you were using multiple accounts. :thumbsup:

Edited by HitSquad, 27 January 2007 - 07:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users