Dell Inspiron notebook, XP Pro SP2, DVD/CD Combo drive. Problematic reading issues. I'll try to put this in order. There's a lot going on. Will be using 2 CD's (ACD and BCD) (it doesn't matter what disks are used, music, data, etc., the behaviour is the same).
1. Notebook in on, put in ACD, open Explorer. Does not read directory/files (d/f's) on CD and DON'T get an error about not being able to access the drive or put in disk.
2. Reboot notebook (leave ACD in) and the disk is read fine, no problem. ACD can be removed and put back in and it is always read. HOWEVER changed disks with BCD and the drive will not read d/f's.
3. Reboot as in #2 and it's the same scenario. The drive will not read a NEW disk.
1. Open Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager.
2. Open DVD/CD-ROM Drives.
3. Double-click (or Right-Click/Properties).
4. Click on the Volumes tab.
5. Click the Populate button. All information is filled in. DO NOT CLOSE.
6. Open Explorer. Click on D:\ drive (the drive letter for this drive). The files are there.
7. Close Device Manager.
This has to be done anytime you put in a new disk of any sort.
I have unistalled the drive, I have gone to Dell for the latest drivers, done a search in hopes of finding other drivers. DVD Region is 1.
Don't really think it's so much hardware as software, but thought I'd start here before posting in software (I'm new here and don't want to be ostracized or branded for a cross-poster... as opposed to a cross-dresser, which is for another forum altogether).