After installing a second hard drive, I noticed that my PC would start booting up but then shut down after 5 seconds or so. I assumed my 250W power supply wasn't able to handle the additional hard drive, so I bought a new 500W power supply unit.
After I installed the new psu, my system will consistently allow me to log in to Windows XP, but then it will crash/restart itself within 2 minutes of getting in to Windows.
What I have tried:
- Used airspray duster to dust off all components inside case.
- Underclocked CPU from 1400 MHz to 1050 MHZ.
- Updated video card drivers (one time, it didn't reboot itself immediately. I took this opportunity to update video drivers.. unfortunately, at the next system reboot, the same problem occurred, and has consistently occurred since).
- Unplugged molex connectors and cables from all peripherals, plugged back in.
- Checked CPU temperature in bios. It is not unusually high (~110 F).
Below are my system specs:
1.4 GHz AMD Thunderbird
512 MB DDR RAM
Boot drive: 40 GB, Secondary HD: 80 GB
Video card (4x AGP): nVidia GeForce2 TI 64MB DDR
Power supply: Antec Basiq 500W
CD-RW drive, DVD drive
PCI slots used by:
Soundblaster sound card, wireless network card
Prior to adding the second hard drive, this PC has been stable for 5+ years. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Edited by jduk78, 25 January 2007 - 10:38 AM.