Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Reboot Issue After Upgrading Psu

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 jduk78

jduk78

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:37 AM

Background:
After installing a second hard drive, I noticed that my PC would start booting up but then shut down after 5 seconds or so. I assumed my 250W power supply wasn't able to handle the additional hard drive, so I bought a new 500W power supply unit.

Current problem:
After I installed the new psu, my system will consistently allow me to log in to Windows XP, but then it will crash/restart itself within 2 minutes of getting in to Windows.

What I have tried:
- Used airspray duster to dust off all components inside case.
- Underclocked CPU from 1400 MHz to 1050 MHZ.
- Updated video card drivers (one time, it didn't reboot itself immediately. I took this opportunity to update video drivers.. unfortunately, at the next system reboot, the same problem occurred, and has consistently occurred since).
- Unplugged molex connectors and cables from all peripherals, plugged back in.
- Checked CPU temperature in bios. It is not unusually high (~110 F).

Below are my system specs:
1.4 GHz AMD Thunderbird
512 MB DDR RAM
Boot drive: 40 GB, Secondary HD: 80 GB
Video card (4x AGP): nVidia GeForce2 TI 64MB DDR
Power supply: Antec Basiq 500W
CD-RW drive, DVD drive
PCI slots used by:
Soundblaster sound card, wireless network card

Prior to adding the second hard drive, this PC has been stable for 5+ years. Any help or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
Thanks

Edited by jduk78, 25 January 2007 - 10:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:45 AM

Try this free memory tester to see if it's the RAM: http://www.memtest86.com/

Check the website (for your hard drive manufacturer) for free diagnostic tools.

Try removing unnecessary devices to see if this helps resolve the problem. http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/70216/hardware-troubleshooting-via-system-stripdown/
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 jduk78

jduk78
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:58 AM

Thanks, I'll try to free memory tester.

I will disconnect my secondary HD and see if the problem still occurs. If it doesn't, then is it possible that 500W isn't enough power for my system? This would seem bizarre.. I have used some basic power supply calculators on the web and all say around 300W should be plenty to handle my setup. I even did some research before buying my new PSU, and purposely spent a little more to get a reputable name brand.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

I had a similar system (a 1.0 gHz Thunderbird) and it worked fine on 200 watts. Be aware that the PSU ratings are all estimates based on average hardware usage - your mileage may vary.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users