Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unknown Entry In The Virus Scan

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 qrius2noall

qrius2noall

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:55 AM

HI THERE!
Antivirus scan(by AVAST) SCAN LOG LISTS the following:

C:\WINDOWS\DRIVERCACHE\i386\driver.cab\3cwmcru.sys

and says the file couldnot be scanned,as itis corrupted

ANY IDEA WHAT THIS IS? A DRIVER OR A VIRUS

ALSO FOR SOME STRANGE REASONS,the scan lists all the files of ADAWARE SE as virus(i have ignored this and havenot taken any action,just wondering why is it so that avast lists ADAWARE as virus while the reverse is not truei.e.ADAWARE doesnot list AVAST as virus

hoping for your inputs to clear this queries

CHEERS

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 25 January 2007 - 12:59 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:04 AM

For the 1st problem do the following :

Go to START RUN type sfc /scannow ( mind the bracket between c and slash) and hit enter. Have your XP disk ready this command will repair any corrupted files.

What do you mean "all the files of ADAWARE SE"? The files which are in the quarantaine or all the files belonging to ADAWARE?

#3 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:05 AM

I'm pretty sure 3cwmcru.sys is a modem driver. Try updating your modem driver and see if that gets rid of the problem.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#4 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:05 AM

For the 1st problem do the following :

Go to START RUN type sfc /scannow ( mind the bracket between c and slash) and hit enter. Have your XP disk ready this command will repair any corrupted files.Here is an excellent tutorial on that subject.

What do you mean "all the files of ADAWARE SE"? The files which are in the quarantaine or all the files belonging to ADAWARE?

#5 qrius2noall

qrius2noall
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:07 AM

THKS FOR YOUR INPUTS GUYS
THATS THE GREAT THING ABOUT HIS FORUM-YOU DON'T FEEL HELPLESS AS SOMEBODY IS ALWAYS THERE TO HELPYOU OUTAND IT MEANS A LOT FOR NEWBIES LIKE ME

AS FOR THE ADAWARE,AVAST LISTS all the files related to ADAWARE as virus,of course ididnot take any action so far.but was wondering why is it so?

[color=#66FF99]CHEERS TO YOU ALL

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,854 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:06 AM

This is very puzzling. I use both AdAware SE build 1.06 and Avast! on my system, and Avast! does not flag AdAware as viruses.

I can think of three possibilities: 1) Avast! has been corrupted 2) AdAware SE has been corrupted 3) You have a rogue version of AdAware.

For the first possibility: uninstall and reinstall Avast! and see if this solves the problem.

For the second, uninstall and reinstall AdAware SE and see if this solves the problem.

For the third, uninstall the Adaware program you have, make sure everything related to it is off the system and get the real thing at this site: http://www.lavasoftusa.com/products/select_your_product.php

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users