Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor Mirroring Issues

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:51 AM

At work we just installed Vista Home Premium. We cannot get the display to mirror to our second monitor (a big LCD for the customers). We can extend the desktop to it - so we do have some functionality.

Vista documentation states that the initial setup will mirror the desktop on each monitor. Not so! Also, disconnecting the second monitor (and uninstalling it from Device Manager) and then rebooting won't fix it (hmmm....just thought about hidden devices in Device Manager - will have to check that).

Help won't tell you how to switch between extended and mirrored desktops - and unchecking the "extend desktop" box results in disabling the 2nd display.

Any suggestions on how to make this fool thing display a mirrored desktop on our big monitor?

TIA!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:37 AM

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:04 AM

What are the system specs (mainly Video Card)

Gavin Seabrook

#3 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 28 January 2007 - 01:34 AM

It's an nVidia card (in a stock Gateway system), I'll have to get further info the next time that I'm at work.

FWIW - we did find a workaround today. The latest nVidia drivers are Vista certified, and installing the nVidia Control Panel let's you set the option in there. Still, it's a bit disappointing to have to use another application when the capability is supposedly built into Vista.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 LaZyFLiP07

LaZyFLiP07

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 03:50 AM

It's an nVidia card (in a stock Gateway system), I'll have to get further info the next time that I'm at work.

FWIW - we did find a workaround today. The latest nVidia drivers are Vista certified, and installing the nVidia Control Panel let's you set the option in there. Still, it's a bit disappointing to have to use another application when the capability is supposedly built into Vista.

I currently have a dual-monitor setup right now. (Laptop display & a Dell LCD monitor) When I plug in the second monitor the the VGA output I immediately get a "New Display Detected" pop-up. Pictured below. If you don't get this pop-up try opening the Windows Mobility Center and hit "Connect Display", this should open up the New Display Detected window.

Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

• Topic Starter

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:27 PM

Thanks! It won't let me into Mobility Center because this isn't a mobile system. Also, when plugging in the second monitor I don't get the recognition since it was already installed. I'm going to go diving in Device Manager to remove it from the hidden devices and will let y'all know what happens.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users