Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank Screen

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Tracey-Taya

Tracey-Taya

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:10 AM

Hi all,
I downloaded some soft ware for my video card which has affected my pc. all i get when it boots is a blank screen, tried getting into safe mode pc brings up safe mode screen but the arrow keys aren't working!
so can't select safe mode. have also tried booting from disk but still only get a blank screen if anyone has any suggestions they would be very gratefully received.
thanks tracey

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:14 AM

What software did you download?

You may need to do a repair intall. This should keep your dtat, but you will need to reinstall updates and some other programs.

How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 Tracey-Taya

Tracey-Taya
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:58 PM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:24 AM

Hi,
thanks for the advice but as i said in my first message I have also tried booting from windows disk but still only get a blank screen. Its ok until it goes into the normal start up page but after that it goes blank, cannot start in safe mode as unable to highlight safe mode on that screen as for some reason my arrow keys don't work. Think computer isn't booting from disk as I don't get any welcome screen. Any further advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks
Tracey

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:29 AM

I'd suggest trying another monitor (or trying the monitor on another computer). If it works, then it's probably time to try another video card.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Monty007

Monty007

• Members
  • 1,151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:28 PM

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:53 AM

Re my post ccleaner. That is exactly what happened to me the only thing you can do if none of the above works is to boot to windows cd and do a repair. Good luck you may get it back enough to save your files to disk.......as i had to eventually do a format.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/155053
MCP
MSDST

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:42 AM

You need to boot into your Bios and set the CD-Rom as first boot device for the disk to be seen.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users