Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Firmware

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 -=AV=-

-=AV=-

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:39 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:29 AM

Recently installed a Sony dvd burner, but it's not burning. I've read that i may need to update the firmware.
Unfortunatly, I can't find the model number anywhere on the net because the burner is an OEM version.

Model# is AW-Q170A
Serial# is: 6XB9B60S111
Firmware version: 1.70

I'm running Win XP with service pack 2
Pentium 2.3
1 gig ram
12 gigs available hard drive space (i know..i know...)

I've tried 2 different software programs and both gave an errror message that i didn't understand, like a code number. I e-mailed their tech support but no answer yet. Also, because it's OEM, Sony won't help me either. The model number isn't even on their site, nor can i find it anywhere else, except the stores that sell it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:39 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:06 AM

I am very weary as to give advise on upgrading firmware i.e. to flash your drive. Here is a search which I did on Google where a.o. you can read that this particular drive is a cooperation between Sony and NEC. Flashing this drive has not given any remarkable improvements for what I have read. At your own risk, you might want to cruise this page to see whether they can be of any assistence.

#3 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:39 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:36 AM

Hi -=AV=-.
Your drive is a relabeled Optiarc AD5170-A. Optiarc is a new optical storage company in alliance with NEC's and Sony's "former" optical storage departments. LiteOn is also building drives for Sony as well.
Basically what you have is white elephant. :thumbsup: If it were me, I'd return it and stay away from Sony drives that are not listed on sony's support site. You never know what you're getting or who actually made it.
That said, a firmware upgrade will most likely not solve your problem. Firmware upgrades (I do them all the time) are made to address new media types only. If this drive has not burned from day 1 and you've tried different dvd\cd brands, I can gaurantee it's not a firmware issue.

I've tried 2 different software programs and both gave an errror message that i didn't understand, like a code number

Please post the two programs you've tried along with the exact error messages.
This could most likely be something very simple.
Some things you can check right off the bat if you like:

1. If you haven't tried different media types, do so.
2. Check device manager for drive conflicts. If you see none, right click the drive and select properties. If you see a recorder tab, select it and make sure cd recording is enabled.
3. Replace the cable with a new 80 wire cable if you're using the old 40 wire type.
4. Be sure the drive is jumpered correctly.
5. Check bios setup parameters on the drive.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:40 AM

I had a Sony DVD burner that pulled the same thing on me - but mine was supported by Sony and I still got no satisfaction even after the firmware upgrade.

So I switched to NEC and was very happy with the 3550 series.

Then, I switched to Pioneer with my last build and have been happy with that also.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users