Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Freezes During Video Capture

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 enos

enos

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:16 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:34 AM

I have started having big problems with my computer while trying to record TV to the harddrive. It was working okay at first but the audio became choppy during the last 20 minutes of recording although the video continued just fine. I decided to add additional memory in an attempt to improve the recording performance. I also defraged the harddrive and tried to upgrade the recording software. Here are my system specs:

AMD 1.4 GHZ
Started with 256MB of SDRAM added an additional 256 of SDRAM=512 MB of SDRAM
Recording to a 200 GB Maxtor HD (7200 RPM) with 60+ GB available
ATI TV Wonder Pro PCI
XP Home SP2

After installing the new RAM and trying to update the recording software the computer started locking up during the recording. No error codes just froze and will not allow CTL+ALT+DEL have to power off to reboot every time I start recording. Then the ATI software stopped working saying that it could not intialize the TV player. (Submitted ticket to ATI yesterday and have not heard back.)

I downloaded several third party apps to record video and they can all access the TV tuner and work just fine until I start recording. Most will record for a few minutes before the computer locks. At this point I don't know if this is a hardware issue or a software issue. I have run diagnostics (Memtest etc.) on the memory, processor, and HD and all of them tested fine with no errors. Any ideas??

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:46 PM

You need a faster computer.

I don't believe 1.4Ghz is fast enough to record directly from tv to computer. Even with the RAM you bought, won't cut it.

You'll probably need at least 2.5 Ghz or better to record directly from tv to your computer.

If you suspect it should work for you, then you need to make sure that everything is turned off while recording. Actually, you should disable everything through your msconfig, then power down, let it set for a minute or so, then boot up.

#3 enos

enos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 12:18 AM

It looks like I have resolved the freezing problem. I removed the stick of memory that I had installed earlier this week and the computer has not frozen up at all even when recording. The recordings are actually turing out very well but I am recording at very low quality levels for transfer to a Pocket PC phone. I will try a higher quality recording level later and see if it still works well.

My only question is how can the memory test just fine with these diagnostic tools but cause a problem when recording video? I used two versions of Wintest and Microsoft Memory Diagnostic tools and they all indicated no errors with the RAM.

#4 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:20 AM

RAM can sometimes be like that when there are some sort of incompatibility issues with the RAM and the BIOS and the software running, once logged in Windows. It doesn't mean that there is something is defective, but infact, not quite compatible.

1. Have you tried re-seating it in again, and try the same process over? I would.
2. Have you tried adjusting your Virtual Memory?
3. Have you tried adjusting your Pagefile? That may also help in recording the videos.
4. Have you verified through your BIOS that the RAM has been installed?

But if the problem persists with the RAM installed, then your computer probably won't function properly, although it may function.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users