Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"Cannot find file D:\start.exe"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 MissAmerica520

MissAmerica520

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:04 PM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 06:14 PM

I didn't know if I should post this in the game board or in Windows 95/98*Grinler board, so I posted it in both. Just recently, I had gotten a sims unleashed game. It met all the requirements to my computer, so I tried to install it. The problem was that when I put my CDrom in my computer, I kept getting a message that said "Cannot find file D:\start.exe[or one of its components]." I have windows 98 and I think its a windows problem. But I really need help trying to find a solution to this problem, so please help. Thanks in advance.

~Erica

Edited by MissAmerica520, 02 January 2005 - 06:15 PM.

-Erica-
The message below is true.
The message above is false.
Which statement is true?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 matt_com911

matt_com911

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 03 January 2005 - 05:31 AM

Alrite, a few solutions. Firstly, and I'll start with the simple one, do you have the original Sims game, because it is a requirement of Unleashed. Secondly, what is your CD-ROM drive letter (D: or E: etc.). Another problem may be that autorun isnt enabled. Double click on My Computer, right click on the CD-ROM Drive that disk 1 of unleashed is in and click on Explore. Now, Im not familiar with these games, but there should be a file in there callled setup.exe or something along those lines. If not look around for start.exe. If you find it double click on it and report back for me :thumbsup:

#3 MissAmerica520

MissAmerica520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 06:17 PM

To answer your questions, yes I do have the sims.. I have F: instead but it still doesnt work, and the third one... I clicked on it but now it said: F:\ is not accessible... device not ready. I've been waiting forever for it to work. Anyother suggestions?Thanks for helping.
-Erica-
Which statement is true?

#4 JEservices

JEservices

helping hand

• Members
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:04 PM

Posted 06 January 2005 - 06:56 PM

Welcome to BC MissAmerica520.

Perhaps I have not formally welcomed you to the forums, and for that I apologize.

I know how frustrating it can be to get (either by purchase or gift) a game that you can not use. Enlighten me and post back what you have already done. The computer that you are using would help too, even if it is just a make and model number.

Have you put the game in the drive, and waited for it to go through the initial loading? Sometimes it will autorun-in most cases, it is the easiest way to begin the installation of a new game.

I am under the impression that you have older versions of the game. In the case of this, did it ask you if you wanted to install the game in the same directory? The programmers like to do this so that you can bring over your characters to the next version.

Start.exe is just one of the files that you could be looking for. Others include, startup.exe, and install.exe. Did you happen to find one that said readme?
We are all curious like a cat. We wonder, we ask, we learn.
Please post back when a suggestion works, so that others may learn.

#5 MissAmerica520

MissAmerica520
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 07 January 2005 - 06:15 PM

Thanks for helping out. It turned out that there was a problem on the CD. So I returned it and got a new one. Everything seem fine.. but, yet again something bad happen. While I was installing the Sims Unleashed, A message appeared that read: -Sorry, there's not enough space free on C:.- How can I get more space? Thanks in advance, again. :thumbsup: By the way, I have a toshiba.
-Erica-
Which statement is true?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users