Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

%temp% Question.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 12x48y

12x48y

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

I hope I'm posting in the correct place.

I'm trying to delete my temp. internet files.
and clean up the C drive. I'm running Win XP home,SP2,
512MB ram,2 partitions (I think) 16 gig. on C,drive 99Gig. D, drive.

I found this approach on this board.
Start>run: type %temp% OK.

This brings this folder up

C:\Docume~1\Mark~1.my comp\locals~1\temp

Do I understand correctly that I can delete these files? There's over a gig. of HD space being used.

Some of these folders and files look important.
Some are .bat files, .ini .dll. etc.

I don't want to mess up my computer by deleting something I need.

Any help will be appreciated.

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 24 January 2007 - 07:45 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,303 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:53 PM

There are a lot of places on your computer that store temporary files and logs that you can clean safely and may even improve your speed. The program that I and many others use is Ccleaner. The default settings are safe and you can customize it to save the cookies that you need for saving passwords and automatic logins, etc.
Just don't use the "Issues" button which is a registry cleaner unless you make a backup using the program. Also don't use the advanced cleaning features. Not necessary. It is very fast--usually 3 or 4 seconds unless you use the secure delete feature which overwrites 3 or 7 times.
http://www.ccleaner.com/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:10 PM

You may wish to use the Windows disk cleanup utility first (in the accessories folder), and then see if you need additional applications or procedures to clean up your hard drive.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 12x48y

12x48y
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:21 PM

Thanks for the fast reply, I'll try the disc cleanup utility right now.
Sorry I posted in the wrong place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users