Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard Flips Out When Internet Plugged In

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Psyrn

Psyrn

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:54 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:13 PM

Hey. I am working on somebody's computer. It was running REALLY slow and it was Windows 98. We upgraded it to WindowsXP with his gateway disc, which, made it slower, I already knew that would happen. But I knew I was going to buy more memory for it. I upgraded it from a 96MB to a 256MB. I Have tested the RAM with a floppy and both RAM is INTACT AND WORKING. However, if the computer has internet plugged into it, when i start it up and Windows starts loading, symbols appear all over the screen and the screen is distorted and its freaky. It requires a restart. I unplug the internet... AND IT STARTS FINE! I thought it was just something with my Ethernet cable, so I took it over to his house and tried his USB internet cable. Same thing happend, it freaked out again. I currently have wiped the HD of WinXP and am currently running LINUX off a CD for it. Yes, the problem still occurs. Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:54 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:29 PM

Maybe check the BIOS - it may have in the list to boot from the network as a higher priority than the HDD. Either move it down or disable (preferred) it. Maybe....?

;)
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 Psyrn

Psyrn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:36 PM

hmm.. I am in BIOS... The only this is see about the network is in FEATURES and it has my USB ports and ETHERNET place and I can either enable, or disable them, so that doesnt help. Anything else to try would be great. Thanks. This thing has me stumped. Been working on it for days :thumbsup: If you find something that fixes it, you should get a trophey on here :flowers: lol . I dont know what to do next.

#4 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:39 PM

Is there an option in your BIOS regarding BOOT or BOOT PRIORITY?
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#5 Psyrn

Psyrn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:41 PM

Yeah. I think it has options CDROM, Floopy, IDE... etc... But its set to Primary IDE-0 (my HD) and Secondary CDROM

Edited by Psyrn, 24 January 2007 - 07:41 PM.

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:43 PM

Well, I must say - I am at a loss!
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#7 Psyrn

Psyrn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:46 PM

Darn... anyone else have any suggestions? I would just go ahead and tell the guy to take it to BESTBUY or trash it if It takes me this long to fix a computer but he paid me to buy new RAM for it and, I just don't wanna do this to the guy. There must be something fixable in it than overpaying dumb Best buy lol

#8 Ben Woodruff

Ben Woodruff

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:55 PM

Darn... anyone else have any suggestions? I would just go ahead and tell the guy to take it to BESTBUY or trash it if It takes me this long to fix a computer but he paid me to buy new RAM for it and, I just don't wanna do this to the guy. There must be something fixable in it than overpaying dumb Best buy lol

BestBuy won't fix it. gah.

I would try a new network card. They are fairly inexpensive, so even if it doesn't work your friend is only out about $10 versus the $150+ he'd be out for taking it to BestBuy.
Try this one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16833166004 - it has a 91% feedback rating and I have personally used it myself and can recommend it as a cheap replacement NIC.
My setup: MacBook Pro | 17" LCD matte display @ 1680 x 1050 | 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo | 2GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM | DVD-R | ATI Radeon X1600 256MB PCIe | 100GB Hitachi 7,200RPM Hard Drive | AirPort Extreme b/g/n

Looking for a PC repair center? Live in upstate NY?
Hurricane Technologies - 53 Genesee St. - Avon NY - 14414 - 585.226.2526

#9 Psyrn

Psyrn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 10:08 PM

The problem is, he has USB for internet, not an ethernet... It's been 6 days with this stupid thing. Usually only keep them for 3-4days.... Im telling him to trash it. It ran windows 98... lol its almost 10 years old... Obsolete... Thanks anyways guys

#10 narcoreality

narcoreality

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:02 PM

. lol its almost 10 years old... Obsolete... T

I got an old HP pavilion with a 350 mhz processor still running, needs a hard drive, maybe he can have it for parts...lol.

#11 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:21 PM

Tell him to send it to me so I can run linux on it! :thumbsup:

Really, best bet would be the nic and making him run on ethernet =/

Posted Image

#12 goran.p

goran.p

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 11:39 AM

roll back everything ,take off the new memory (256)from the comp.,run win98 again,and see what happen.Maybe with your new memory (256) has some issue with the old one.

#13 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:50 PM

Maybe with new technology and stuff since this computer was built, they have a bios update that will fix this problem.

I would try updating everything you can to see if theres a fix. Bios, motherboard chipset, video card, etc.

Careful flashing bios. I ruined mine once and had to buy a new chip. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users