Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No Taskbar, Can't Install Anything, Programs Won't Run, Slow Slow Slow

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 poopidy poopoo

poopidy poopoo

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:55 PM

For a year, my computer has had no taskbar, desktop icons, and has been a real pain to deal with. I haven't gotten it fixed because i'm constantly typing papers and Word still works so i haven't had the time to get someone to look at it.

So for a year, I have been living with the computer in its taskbar-less state, constantly hitting control alt delete and the new task bar to do my business. Now the damned thing won't let me install files, programs are acting up, and everything is very slow. When I open the install file, it appears in the processes list then instantly disappear. SpyBot and McAffee scans are ineffective, and i can't download and install the programs that the tutorials say too. Any help would be wonderful. I really don't want to nuke my harddrive and lose countless files. Also, my harddrive is divided into the C drive and D drive. The C drive only gets 20 Gb, while the D drive gets 140gb . The C drive is full of stuff, and I though I had deleted all the useless stuff but it is still full. Is there anyway to get more space alloted to the C drive? HELP!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 zbd

zbd

• Members
  • 390 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:29 PM

Try using the "chkdsk /f" in the run box to fix problems first. It can see if that is where you have a problem.

#3 drymobius

drymobius

• Members
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:03 AM

After you've checked your system's integrity, perhaps a program like Norton's Partition Magic can help you optimize the space between C:\ and D:\. In the meantime, is it possible to transfer as many files from C:\ to D:\? This may free up space, and would make a difference if your OS resides on C:\ Remember to do a CleanDisk and a defrag in Safe Mode (the latter you may want to do 2-3 times).
drymobius

#4 poopidy poopoo

poopidy poopoo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:27 PM

so i did the chkdsk thing and that made it worse I think. Programs are not functioning properly, if they function at all, and within minutes they crash anyway. I can install something like norton's Partition Magic because I can't install anything period. Nothing Works, at all. So, any ideas?

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:43 PM

Go to Start > Run and type cmd then press the <Enter> key. At the prompt type chkdsk c: /f (notice spaces between k & c plus : & /) then press the <Enter> key. If you receive a warning that it cannot run unless rebooted click Yes and reboot the computer. The scan may take a while to complete. Do not stop it. After that is done go to Start > Run and type sfc /scannow (notice the spce between c & /) the press <Enter>. Have your winXP CD ready if asked for so System FIle Checker can fix or replace missing or corrupted files.

Run this online scan: http://housecall.trendmicro.com/. You will need to use Internet Explorer and allow the ActiveX control. Place the URL in Trusted Sites.

Edited by TheTerrorist_75, 25 January 2007 - 04:55 PM.

I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users