Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Connection Lost

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Vintage

Vintage

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

Hello,
I have a strange problem that I have been trying to solve for awhile now. When I try to download anything that takes longer than 1 hour to receive, I lose my internet connection around the 1 hour mark. Some of the times when I try to get back on the web, I get the blue screen that tells me that the memory is being dumped and then the PC restarts. The only way I have been able to get back on the web is by restarting.

I am using a Windows XP Pro with a network broadband connection and have tried refreshing the connection, re-setting up the connection, and even using download managers and other web browsers. I have run Spybot, Adaware, McAfee Virusscan, HouseCall, and Stinger, but I still have the problem.

Now, when I restart the PC, during the load process, I get a message saying Invalid boot.ini - booting from C:\Windows. Could this be the problem or is there something else causing the trouble? I am willing to post a Hijackthis file in the Hijackthis forum if necessary, but I wasn't sure exactly what the problem was.

Thank You so much!
Rob

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:16 PM

Can you start the system at all? if not, try using an xp cd to enter the recovery console bring up a help menu by typing help or a question mark (?). then try these 2 commands "fixboot" and "fixmbr." try "fixboot" first.
if it doesn't work try the other command.
If you can get into windows you could try the windows file check by going to start run then type
sfc /scannow

Hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 Vintage

Vintage
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:09 PM

Yes, the system does start up and I am using it right now to type this message. The web works fine as long as I am not trying to download anything. And when it does crash, it always dumps memory, restarts, then comes up with the "System has recovered from a serious error" message.

Rob

#4 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:03 AM

download tuneuputilities http://www.tune-up.com/ use the 30 day trial once its installed, go to optimize and improve then go to the optimizer accelerate the internet speeds and the system configuration. this should stabilise the internet.

With regards to the BSODs http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/74712/how-to-find-bsod-error-messages/ this article will help you
Regards,

Alan.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:15 AM

This issue may occur if the Boot.ini file is missing, damaged, or contains incorrect entries. See "Invalid Boot.ini" or "Windows could not start" error messages" and "Boot.ini Options Reference".

There are also some detailed solution suggestions here.
Scroll down to the section titled "Windows XP issues an 'Invalid Boot.ini' or 'Windows could not start ...' error?"

Windows NT, 2000 and XP use a configuration file called Boot.ini to control how the operating system is booted and any startup options. By modifying the startup switches you can manage the boot process including booting Windows in Safe mode, creating a log file, or disabling the splash screen.

Boot.ini is a hidden file location on the root partition of your hard drive (normally C:\). You may need to Reconfigure Windows XP to show hidden files, folders to find it.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users