Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cpu

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 classykilla

classykilla

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:58 PM

Ok here is the deal I would like to upgrade my PC. It seems to lag when Iím playing games. Itís a gateway 7310s. Here are some specs I pulled off the internet. I will be running Belarc advisory to pull up more info when I get to my house. Anyways I want to know if it would be best to buy a new processor, mother board, and get some more RAM or to try to over clock these items I already have. I have just recently bought a new Power supply 550W.

I would like to get a new motherboard and CPU just because I want the new technology and a faster PC. The new Intel C2D CPU. Will be willing to spend the money if this is feasible. I guess what I am trying to say is should I replace the MOB if I buy a new CPU and what type of motherboard should I get to fit in my PC.

Maybe I should start my first build. 

Intel® Pentium® 4 HT CPU 3.00GHz,
1024 Mb of RAM
7900GS graphics card
Intel 915G Express Chipset type
800Mhz data bus speed
case taking a uATX motherboard
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:35 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:15 PM

The specs that you listed....are those for the computer you have now, or the computer you want to build?

I'd go with a core 2 duo. The slowest core 2 duo is faster than the fastest P4 processor. Of course, changing your cpu will mean you'll have to get a different mobo.

If you have the money, I'd go with 2gb of ram. It makes a noticable difference IMHO. You could get one stick now to start your build, then get the other stick in the future.

The other thing to keep in mind is to not skimp on your power supply unit. Spend the money on a good one now to avoid problems in the future.

Also, I'm not sure about gateway, but with most (if not all) Dell cases, they are made specifically for Dell, and will usually only take parts from Dell (or parts made for Dell). Certain parts won't fit, like psu's, mobo's etc. A new case is a good idea, and ensure that you've got plenty of ventillation too! :thumbsup:

Post back with your specs, or any further questions, and we'll go from there. :flowers:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:54 PM

i am still a novice to the scene, but i remember reading that DDR RAM was designed to run in tandem. when i first built my system i put one 1GB stick in. i was not impressed with performance. after i added another 1GB my system hums.

two 512's would serve you better IMHO. i will try to find the link to the literature.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:57 PM

As I recall, DDR runs a bit better in tandem - but not enough that the average user will notice. DDR2 on the other hand has noticeable improvements when run in tandem.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:58 PM

here is that link. :thumbsup:
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus

#6 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:59 PM

how does one know if they have DDR2 RAM? i have pc3200 400mHz.

#7 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:06 PM

Seeing as it is a Gateway you would need to do a fresh install of XP and reactivate it. You might have a problem with reactivation seeing as the Gateway OEM XP is tied to your motherboard. I was able to do a similar swap with a Gateway but had to call support in India to get a new activation number. You would be further ahead to just start from scratch and build a new PC the way you want it plus buy an OEM version of XP which won't have all the Gateway crap included.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#8 Peaches*

Peaches*

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:06 PM

Dude just upgrade RAM. It the cheapest and easiest solution. Ur CPU is fine for now dude. Ur MOBO prolly wont support dual core. Up to 2GB ram...it should help.
What else is in the Teaches of Peaches*? Like SEX on the Beaches...

#9 Peaches*

Peaches*

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 11:08 PM

just wait a bit and build ur own. From the ground up.
What else is in the Teaches of Peaches*? Like SEX on the Beaches...

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 08:43 AM

I'd suggest upgrading the RAM as a temporary fix. Go here for suggestions on what RAM to get: http://www.crucial.com/ Just enter in your computer info and it'll tell you what kind of RAM you can get.

As for the new technology, start shopping for what you want now and take your time. You'll need a case, a CPU (with cooler), and a motherboard. While picking this stuff out, look at what you've got in the Gateway that you can cannabalize for the new system (pay particular attention to the video card and the memory).

You'll have to decide on which way to go with the video card and the memory. For the video card, AGP is dying, so you'll likely want a PCIe video card. For the RAM, DDR is dying, so you'll likely want DDR2 - but this isn't as urgent as the video card.

Or, you can just keep the Gateway and build a whole new system. Then you'll have a backup in case one of them dies! (and more toyz! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 classykilla

classykilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for all the input guys. I think that I am going to upgrade the RAM in the mean time.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users