Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

What Makes One Better Than The Other?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 blueandgold04

blueandgold04

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

i can watch dvd's on my pc and they go along just fine. but when i try to play command and conquer, any large skirmish results in lagging, even on low video settings. i know i need a new gfx card, im leaning towards 7900 GS and 7950 GT.

which is better? and why is it better, more memory?

i also will need a new power supply, any recommendations in the area of how much wattage? how do you know if it has multiple 12V rails?

any help would be great. i just want something i can eventually play Oblivion on and enjoy the game.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus
"Chance favors the prepared mind." -Louis Pasteur
"If a man does his best, what else is there?" -George S. Patton

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Members
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:10:39 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:36 PM

Would you please provide a bit more information about your system?
Details about it will help others to provide better info to you.

Make and model of your system. OS? Ram? Boards? etc.

The more information one provides, the easier it is for other to help out.

Regards,
Koan
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 blueandgold04

blueandgold04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

below are my specs:

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
1GB DDR400, Windows XP SP2
MSI K8NGM-V motherboard
PCI-E x 16
Allied 300 Watt PSU
Radeon 9200 128MB graphics card

i learned recently that DDR RAM should be run in tandem. i have only 1 stick. thus i think that may be partially to blame for the sluggishness.
"Nobody realizes that some people expend tremendous energy merely to be normal." -Albert Camus

#4 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:09 AM

i'd definitely recommend getting another 1gb of RAM. make sure you plug it into the correct slot for the DDR to work (if you have 4 slots for RAM, as far as i know slots 1/3 and 2/4 are synched).

for your gfx card i'd go with the 7950GT. more memory does not necessarily mean a better card, as sometimes manufacturers will put 512mb on a card and clock it lower than a card with 256mb. the important things to look for on a gfx card, in addition to memory size, are the core clock, memory clock, and the memory interface. higher is obviously better on all of those.

as for your PSU, your machine doesn't appear to be a powerhouse so a good 400-450w PSU should be more than enough. make sure it has at least 18A (preferably 20A) on the 12V rail. you do not need dual 12V rails unless you are planning on using SLI/Crossfire. enermax and thermaltake are both good brands.

this one would do you well, i think :thumbsup:

i hope this helps.

Edited by dogslikeus, 25 January 2007 - 12:10 AM.

#5 blueandgold04

blueandgold04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

thanks for the tip. i just ordered another 1GB of RAM, i really think that will make a huge difference in my computing. it may also help boost my graphics processing as well.

i also ordered a new PSU. i went bigger than advised, but i wanted it to last through future upgrades. its also modular which looks very appealing, as well as has 20A 12V rails.

thanks again

#6 Detox

Detox

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:39 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:49 PM

It all depends on your budget and what you want. If you plan on upgrading to a Dx10 card soon, then get the 7900 GS, it's a great mid-range card that's very well priced. But if you don't plan on going Dx10 anytime soon, and you have the money, then get the 7950 GT, which is a high-end card.

Edited by Detox, 25 January 2007 - 07:49 PM.

#7 blueandgold04

blueandgold04
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 12:20 PM

yes the 7950GT or the X1900GT are the two i am entertaining right now. after reading a website that compared multiple mid-range cards, it appears the X1900GT gives the best bang for the buck. but adding the other stick of RAM really made a big difference in performance of the ATI9200 i have now.

i also bought a new PSU, hopefully a little more juice will help as well.

cheers :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users