Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Polipos And Hebmod.dot

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 jtheb

jtheb

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:01 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:34 AM

AVG found polipos but can't remove it.

homecall and web can't find it.

web has found hebmod.dot. and removed it I don't know what this is or was.

Any clarification of the situation would be welcome.

John

//Mod edit: Moved from Windows XP Home and Professional forum to the more appropriate.

Edited by KoanYorel, 24 January 2007 - 09:24 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:01 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:55 AM

Try running AVG in safe mode and see if that helps.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:52 AM

Since you have Dr. Web cureit already installed on your computer, suggest you run it in safe mode also. That is assuming that your copy was downloaded in the last few days.

At present, Virus monitoring service of Doctor Web, Ltd. designed the curing procedure for files infected with Win32.Polipos. It was done for users whose anti-virus programs still do not detect this virus and whose computers, though protected by other anti-virus programs, are infected with the virus and let it infect other computers. The curing technique is rather difficult, as it requires processing of a complicated crypt algorithm XTEA, and the decoding of the virus code can take much time. You should not download any additional curing utilities to cure the infected files, just use Dr.Web Anti-virus and update the virus bases on time.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 jtheb

jtheb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

I have run Web in safe mode it doesn't find polipos.

I have uninstalled AVG as asked by Web, so can't check with AVG which didn't always find polipos anyway.

This morn the PC tells me my O/S is not genuine (Which it IS), M/S are happy with it and have validated it.

Do I need to do a reinstall of O/S from Recovery Disc?

HELP!

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:59 AM

You may find the article below of interest to you.

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showAr...cleID=196903041

Microsoft May Have Mistakenly Pegged Half A Million As Pirates

While false positives are less than one-half of 1%, that adds up to a lot when you find 114 million counterfeits.

By Gregg Keizer
InformationWeek

Jan 23, 2007 04:53 PM

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 jtheb

jtheb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 08:50 AM

Thanks! So don't need to worry about the "pirated" system.

Can anyone explain polipos dissappearing. Or what HEBMOD.DOT is

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 10:36 AM

Why not go to Windows update and allow it to scan your computer for updates. It will first validate your Windows. I don't know if the notice you received was a "phishing" email, a "genuine notice from Windows" or a popup from a malware source. If Windows validates again your OS then I would look further for malware if the notice didn't come in a phishing email.
I could not find any info on Hebmod.Dot. Are you using a P2P program?

#8 jtheb

jtheb
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 10:23 AM

Not sure what P2P is.

Windows has validated and checked updates.

Everything seems to be running OK.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,990 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 11:53 AM

That is good news. P2P programs are used to distribute videos, music etc. They are famous for also distributing malware thru the downloads. One such program would be Limewire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users