Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hotmail bounces mail to .biz domain

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 PM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 04:37 PM

I've been trying to resolve a problem where I send from Hotmail to a .biz email address and it gets bounced back not delivered. I can send from a pop3 mailbox fine and also from a Yahoo web mailbox.

I set up a new user for the same domain and that worked initailly but now they just get bounced. I'm going to try a new one now and see if that works.

Hotmail say its my hosting that's the problem and they say it's Hotmail :thumbsup:

Anybody any clues?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:17 PM

Posted 05 January 2005 - 05:59 PM

Whats the exact error you are getting?

#3 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 09:35 AM

Hi Grinler,

Content-Type: multipart/report; report-type=delivery-status;
boundary="9B095B5ADSN=_01C4ED1487A55BC80000760Bhotmail.com"

Content-Type: text/plain; charset=unicode-1-1-utf-7

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

We did some further testing on this the other day. One person from my Hosting site sent one and it got rejected. I sent one from a pop3 box and it was delivered. Another support person sent one and that was rejected. The domain registration is handled by a sister company of my Hosting company and I can set the DNS through them. The individual mail boxes are setup by me on my Hosting account. My hosting people maintain that the mail never reaches their server so it's not being rejected by them.

I'm thinking about trying a redirect of that mail box from my domain registration account and seeing if that helps.

If you think that's worth a try let me know.

Peter

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 11:21 AM

Is there more information that you left out from the error message?

Generally they give a reason..like too many hops...sender loops back to itsself, or something.

#5 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:50 PM

No, that was the only message followed by the email address it was sent to. There is header information but that shows Hotmail IP addresses and none from my server.

#6 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 06 January 2005 - 01:56 PM

Do me a favor, for privacy reasons, send me the entire error message including headers email addresses etc. I do not need the original message if its attached

#7 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 04:36 PM

Grinler, thanks for the help.

Problem now solved - its seems that some bright spark left an additional Domain Name Server in the settings when the domain name was transferred to my server. The MX settings on this incorrect DNS were invalid and that's why the email were getting bounced, but not every time because the other two DNS were correct with valid MX records.

#8 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,614 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2005 - 05:38 PM

Did they admit they were wrong ? :thumbsup:

#9 penmore

penmore

Malware Sniffer

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2005 - 02:28 AM

You're joking, they said that somebody must have left that additional DNS setting when the domain was transferred. The problem is there are two companies, one that handles the domain registration and transfers and the other the web hosting packages etc.

I think I'm going to drop them a line and suggest that they put up some sort of tutorial about checking the settings once a domain has been transferred. There is little on their website about anything. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users