Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem: Why Is Counter-strike Source So Damn Good?

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Peaches*

Peaches*

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:17 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:34 PM

K, Counter-Strike Source is amazing. I don't care what people say about how they ruined counter strike with source and how 1.6 is better. The facts are clear. The graphics are amazing, and the gameplay is amazing. So if your a CS:S player, and have a love for the game, leave some love!

Peaches*
What else is in the Teaches of Peaches*? Like SEX on the Beaches...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:29 PM

I played CS since 1.1 or so, and got way into it by 1.3. I think 1.4 was a good move, getting rid of bunny-hops...and of course 1.6 was the version we all played for a long time...the new weapons were fun and the new additions to the maps were cool. Once in a blue moon I will play CS 1.6...but at this point, other than a sudden yearning for nostalgia, the only reason to play it is if you are gaming with someone who has an older computer (IMO).

Source is pretty fantastic.

My only real complaint at this point is the lack of map diversity...not that there aren't plenty of maps out there, but so many people only want a handful of old-school maps in their rotations. It's weird. I mean, I dig on de_dust2 and ct_office as much as the next long-timer. But sheesh.

Oh, my other complaint is the 32 - 64 person servers on maps that were designed for 8 to 10 players a team. Overcrowding makes it feel like a big team DM match rather than the true tactical game CS was meant to be.

But...honestly...I don't play that much anymore. Once in a while. Lans, a bit of pubbing here and there. I think my "golden years" of CS are past me.
"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#3 Peaches*

Peaches*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:07 PM

Yea. I see your point with the map rotation thing. I have to admit I only really play de_dust 2 and cs_office, but the problem for me is, when I want to go find a server with a different map it isn't there. For example the other day I was looking for some cs_italy and about 25 servers popped up but they were all either empty or just bots. So yes I do see your point with server diversity.

Peaches*

#4 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:24 PM

Hmm,

I bought Counter-Strike when it was in version 1.3 and I didn't get a cable modem till it was late in version 1.4. . . I play Source every once in a while, but I prefer Condition Zero over anything right now.

When it comes to Source, I'm so glad that there is a 'bot' feature in the server browser so you can see which servers have bots in them. Even though I really only play in a small handfull of servers (Mainly cs_assault servers), it's because I hate the custom crap you get with the servers.

I've tried the anti-sound pack and in Source, I've used that cl_downloads nosound command, but it doesn't seem to work, I either get tons and tons of crap, or it redownloads and overwrites the anti-sound files (such is the case with many sounds in CZ where I have the anti-sound pack implemented).

Anybody else hate the Counter-Strike community? I always play with my microphone imput levels at zero and while I don't do it as much anymore, I used to mute everybody in the server quite a bit.

but yea, Counter-Strike is fun. ....lol

#5 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:37 PM

Anybody else hate the Counter-Strike community? I always play with my microphone imput levels at zero and while I don't do it as much anymore, I used to mute everybody in the server quite a bit.

Yeah, right here.
Most of the people that play CS are annoying fuddruckers.
That and I'm only really a casual gamer, but the servers are populated with players that've logged thousands upon thousands of play hours, they know every map and every respective exploit. It's nearly impossible to compete without sacrificing your social life to playing CS hours and hours on end. I'll play it at LAN/WLAN parties or with bots, but screw the overall community.
Posted Image

#6 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:40 PM

not only that, but I think it's pathetic that these people say that they're so good, but the second somebody continues to take them out, they cry about it and start throwing around the touchy subject of cheating.

Don't get me wrong, there are tons of cheaters. I just find it annoying that every time I get 4 or more kills in a round, people jump on the "He's cheating, ban him from the server" bandwagon.

#7 Peaches*

Peaches*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:53 PM

Yes, I see your guyses points...but let me tell you I'm not one of those players. I'll say I'm decent at source, but not amazing. As for the sound plug-ins, I actually don't mind them lol. I usually play in a sick cs_office server, and every time someone gets knifed you hear the BEEEYAAHHHH sound from that chappelle show skit. I do hate the ppl that always say HAX! HAX! when they get killed. So anyway, don't hate, appreciate.

Peaches*

#8 Peaches*

Peaches*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:56 PM

And, I use X-Fire, and I've only logged 190 hrs scince July 05. So thats not that bad.

#9 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:21 PM

Oh man, don't get me started on downloading five billion custom wavs every time you try to connect to a new server.
Posted Image

#10 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:36 PM

Yeah, the community can be a deterrent to pubbing.

The positive side is that there are a ba-gillion servers to choose from.

Peaches, have you noticed less blatant hacking on Source than the ol' CS days? Or am I imagining it? There is still plenty of team-stacking, awp-whoring, base-camping, and other hyphenated behaviors that aren't technically cheating yet still can ruin the experience.

CS for me can be frustrating and lame at times, yet it has provided some best gaming experiences in all the years I have kept this hobby...so I can't be too hard on it. My best luck pubbing has been when I am playing with a couple friends, and we manage to find a moderately populated server with folks that are playing the game for the enjoyment of it rather than to simply pad their stats. If you can find that, you're golden.

That and if you can hit the wide side of a barn. I've noticed that since I don't play regularly anymore, sometimes it takes me a while to get back into the swing of things!

As for new maps, often the only diversity is fy maps. Now and then they can be fun, and they are good practice for your aim...but they are only good in moderation. I have been to CS lans that played 2/3s fy maps...MAN does that get boring. But then, I always liked the game because of the objectives.

Bots: back in my UT days bots were a fun way to fill out a small lan server for CTF. For CS S, pubbing anyway, I don't care for them. I want blood, not silicon! :trumpet: :thumbsup:

But bots do have a place...and the Source ones aren't bad. Now and then we'll play with them. Oh, at your next small lan, you gotta try "zombie mode." This means filling out one entire team with bots and giving them knives, set on the highest difficulty level.

Peaches, try setting your server filter for a good ping, "not full," and "not empty." As for bots, the only way I can see to avoid bot-ridden servers is to look at the details of a given server. If there are players that are listed has being connected for -1 seconds, they's bots...time to check out the next server in the list.

Arcman: tons of server content: yep, lame.

EDIT: When you get accused of hacking, well, you know you've become a proficient CS player! :flowers:

Edited by locally pwned, 25 January 2007 - 10:37 PM.

"The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking." - Albert Einstein

"The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion." - Thomas Paine

"If it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck, we have at least to consider the possibility that we have a small aquatic bird of the family anatidae on our hands." - Douglas Adams

#11 me_123

me_123

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:41 PM

You think CS:S is good?
Are you bleeping our of your mind?!
CS:S still has so many bugs. Oh yes I know, I have the game and I crash every second.
I talked to Valve and they said "We are looking in to this problem"
I checked and a lot of people have had this problem and still do since the release of the game a few years ago so if you think because of the graphics and gameplay the game is good then you're really bleeped up.
I can't even play the game more then 10 minutes. What do you have to say to that?!

bleep CS:S!

#12 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:18 AM

Hahaha, OK wait a sec, I'm still kind of a newb on this forum so I have to ask, did you actually type "bleeping" in all those times or do we have a filter here that automagically converts curses to "bleeps"?
Posted Image

#13 locally pwned

locally pwned

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:47 AM

You think CS:S is good?
Are you bleeping our of your mind?!
CS:S still has so many bugs. Oh yes I know, I have the game and I crash every second.
I talked to Valve and they said "We are looking in to this problem"
I checked and a lot of people have had this problem and still do since the release of the game a few years ago so if you think because of the graphics and gameplay the game is good then you're really bleeped up.
I can't even play the game more then 10 minutes. What do you have to say to that?!

bleep CS:S!

What do I got to say to that? Well, sounds like a specific issue you're machine is having. I've not personally known anyone with issues like that for CS S, though I am sure there are others out there. There's always someone who can't seem to get his/her rig to play a game. There are so many variables...drivers, hardware, apps running in the background...

But if you are having a lot of tech trouble with a game, it kills the experience pretty quick.

Oh here's one for you: a friend of mine has a Dell laptop, from a few years back...p4 2.4, X300 video card. His machine runs Source better than 1.6! On 1.6, throw a smoke 'nade at him and his frame rates will come to a screaching halt. Why Source run better than 1.6? I't certainly not a matter of system resources...1.6 takes way less than Source, and he's got just enough to do Source justice. There's just something his system doesn't like about 1.6...the dell drivers, something.

Edited by locally pwned, 26 January 2007 - 06:52 AM.

#14 Peaches*

Peaches*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:23 AM

What do I have to say to that 123??? I say your computer is a peice of bleep! Thats what I say. So yes, go back and play 1.6 and maybe you wont have any problems...oh wait thats cus 1.6 is from 1999! :thumbsup:

lol it does change cwear words to "bleep"

#15 Wizdabest

Wizdabest

• Members
  • 684 posts
  •  

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:30 AM

Hey, want to see if there are bots in servers?

Okay, you know the VAC column that shows if a server is running VAC or not? Well, to up to the top of the server list where that bar has the server names, amount of people playing, ping, ect and right click on it. It should drop down a list and something like 'show bot servers' should be unchecked. When you check it, it'll do the same thing the VAC column does, it'll show every server on your list that has the official bots running.

---

As for CS:S, I used to have it crash every once in a while during it's beta, but I hardly have any problems with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users