Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sd Impact 1gb

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Uraiser

Uraiser

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:09 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:40 PM

Ok, so I've made my return to BC, its been a while. But now that I'm back, I have a problem. I bought my mom an SD Impact 1Gb card for her digital camera for christmas. The thing worked fine, then one day we were driving around to take pictures of the freeze that happened in south Texas, and my mom took a picture of my dog, then the camera shut off. I went to turn it back on, and a red light started flashing in front, with the knowledge I have that tells me that something is wrong. I took the card out, the camera booted up fine. So I ran some more tests, there are pictures, or atleast there were. I put the card in my Ps3, acts as if nothing is in the slot, tried plugging it back into the camera to run to my PC, camera wont turn on to give me the option to with card in. I reinstalled the card reader on my PC since I took it out 3 months ago. That wont even read the card, the green light comes on, but causes explorer to freeze. Whats wrong with this card? Is it shot?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:12 PM

It may very well be dead. Although it should've lasted longer than a month, cards do have a write-rewrite life cycle, just like any hard drive or memory stick (for example). The first thing that I'd try to do is to take the card back, and complain that it only lasted 4 weeks (almost 4 weeks). It should have atleast a 30 day warranty on it (probably a few months or a year), which will hopefully cover it. If the store argues, tell them that it's good customer service to replace the card, since it reflects directly on the stores image (works well with large stores like Best Buy).

You could try to format the card first, too. Use the camera option to format the card (assuming that it will allow you to "see" the card). If not, then since windows freezes when you look at the card, you're back to trying to return it to the store.

Note that formatting the card will erase any/all "data" (pictures) on the card permanently. If you can get windows to see the card, you could try to do a scan disk on it or even a defrag might help....but unlikely (worth a try though!).

Probably not the news you wanted to hear, sorry! :flowers:

Best of luck! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#3 Uraiser

Uraiser
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 254 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:29 PM

It may very well be dead. Although it should've lasted longer than a month, cards do have a write-rewrite life cycle, just like any hard drive or memory stick (for example). The first thing that I'd try to do is to take the card back, and complain that it only lasted 4 weeks (almost 4 weeks). It should have atleast a 30 day warranty on it (probably a few months or a year), which will hopefully cover it. If the store argues, tell them that it's good customer service to replace the card, since it reflects directly on the stores image (works well with large stores like Best Buy).

You could try to format the card first, too. Use the camera option to format the card (assuming that it will allow you to "see" the card). If not, then since windows freezes when you look at the card, you're back to trying to return it to the store.

Note that formatting the card will erase any/all "data" (pictures) on the card permanently. If you can get windows to see the card, you could try to do a scan disk on it or even a defrag might help....but unlikely (worth a try though!).

Probably not the news you wanted to hear, sorry! :flowers:

Best of luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your quick response, and yeah, I've tried the formatting option, through my computer, ps3, and camera. None of them read the card, the camera wont even turn on with the card inside. I would take the card back but no package or receipt, I did expect it to last a little longer than this. I've got all this knowledge when it comes to towers and the insides and all teh things computers do, but give me an SD card and I feel like an amature again.

#4 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:37 PM

I know the feeling! When you replace the card, be sure to keep the receipt and packaging (although, I'm sure you knew that!). If I had to venture a guess, I'd say that the card is dead if you can't reformat it. Every card that I've had die on me has done the exact same thing that you're describing about your card.

Sorry about your card dying :flowers: I honestly hope that your next one lasts longer! Be sure to format your new card before you use it (format it in the camera is usually best!). :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users