Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Getting "mbr Error 2"

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 indarkflames

indarkflames

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:24 PM

I just flashed/upgraded my BIOS for my motherboard, and now XP doesn't even boot up.
After the BIOS load, I get a "MBR error 2" message and it just stays there.
My board is an Asus P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe. I used the Asus Update Utility to flash my BIOS.

Please help, what do I do?!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:40 PM

Boot the computer from your WinXP CD. Select the Recovery Console option and run FIXMBR command.

Description of the Windows XP Recovery Console
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

#3 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:06 PM

The computer didnt come with an XP CD...only the recovery XP CD, which can only put the computer back to its original purchased state...

#4 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:21 PM

could I use something offered in bootdisk.com?
If yes, which one is recommended?

#5 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:50 PM

You need to get the one that matches your version of WinXP.

How to obtain Windows XP Setup boot disks

How to install and use the Recovery Console in Windows XP

Get Your Donor Card

#6 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:26 PM

I did the fixmbr command and now the error message doesnt even show up, just a blank dos page...
All I wanted to do was update my BIOS, this is ridiculous. Does this mean I lost all my files and have to reinstall windows? Would that even fix the problem???

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:34 AM

I'm assuming that you don't have a backup of your data?

You still should be able to get at your data:

1. Remove your HDD and slave it to another machine.

2. Use a bootable CD such as the UBCD or a Live Linux distribution.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:56 AM

An improper BIOS flash can render your system useless. This can even be caused by power fluctuations during the flash process.

As Budapest suggests, the most important thing now is to do a backup! This'll preserve any data that you may be in danger of losing.

As for the hard drive, first try one of the free, bootable diagnostic tools available from the hard drive manufacturer to test the hard drive for problems.

Also, ensure that you've loaded the appropriate drivers for your hard drive (mobo/chipset drivers and the SATA driver (if SATA equipped)).

To see if it's the BIOS, I'd suggest trying another hard drive in the system to see if you can get it to properly install Windows.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 11:04 AM

At the prompt in the Command window (XP doesn't use MS/DOS) type exit, remove the boot disk and then press the <Enter> key. See if it boots to Windows.

Get Your Donor Card

#10 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:16 PM

I dont have a bootdisk, I dont have a floppy drive. The flashing itself was done within XP, via Asus Update software. And also, I cannot type anything in the blank black screen that I am faced with...

#11 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

Use a boot CD then - they're available at http://www.bootdisk.com
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#12 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 07:18 PM

BTW, I DO have SATA and RAID 0 enabled, could that be a factor in this issue?

#13 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:20 PM

Use a boot CD then - they're available at http://www.bootdisk.com

I actually made a boot CD yesterday, of an earlier version of the BIOS and once the CD boots, I am faced with A: and R: but I dont know what to do after that...

#14 indarkflames

indarkflames
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 50 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 09:34 PM

I am happy to inform you guys that I am typing this from my computer :thumbsup:
All the problem was that after the Flashing, the SATA RAID 0 settings had gotten defaulted so I enabled them and bam! All running smooth :flowers:

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 AM

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:22 AM

Good to hear that you sorted it out and thanks for posting back with the solution - it may help someone else with the same problem in the future.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users