Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Usb Not Recognizing Devices

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ib4gains

ib4gains

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:26 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:43 PM

Hi,

I have a dell optiplex GX 620 with 2.8GHZ processor and 2GB of memory. It has Windows XP Home installed. The computer has 4usb ports in the rear with two additional in the front. My problem is that only a mouse and keyboard are recognized when plugged in those ports. A hard drive was tested and it powered it up, but it was not recognized as a device. I've checked the bios settings and everything to do with usb is activated. Also, checked Widows XP device manager shows that all drivers and usb devices have no errors. Last, I have checked inside the computer and found all connections to be secured via ribbon cable in the rear and soldered down in the front panel. I am stuck at this point. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,

IB4GAINS

Edited by ib4gains, 24 January 2007 - 01:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:22 AM

have you tried unpluggin the mouse/keyboard and test the HD in that port? Are they USB 2.0 ports? and errors in your event viewer?

Gavin Seabrook

#3 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:26 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:32 PM

ib4gains:

I have a question concerning this statement:

A hard drive was tested and it powered it up, but it was not recognized as a device.

I an confused about the " and it powered it up ". Is a USB powered drive or a normal 2.5" or 3.5" IDE disk drive in a USB drive enclosure with an independent power supply? What is the make and model of the drive?

The reason that I am asking is that it has been reported that some USB ports are marginal in supplying 500 mA @ 5 volts and could affect a USB powered drive.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:16 PM

Most usb External drives have their own power supply, and not many usb ports could fully power an external drive. Even in a drive enclosure, they have external power.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 ib4gains

ib4gains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:03 PM

have you tried unpluggin the mouse/keyboard and test the HD in that port? Are they USB 2.0 ports? and errors in your event viewer?

I have unplugged those devices an put that HD in those ports and the same occurs. It powers up, but its not recognized as a device on a usb port. They are 2.0 and the HD is a 2.0 device. This HD also does not need external power supply. It uses usb power.

#6 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:25 PM

This HD also does not need external power supply. It uses usb power.

Thank you. Do have the make and model? I would like see if I can find some specs on the product to see if there is possibility that it may be that current draw is close to the 500mA maximum allowable.

#7 ib4gains

ib4gains
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:49 PM

This HD also does not need external power supply. It uses usb power.

Thank you. Do have the make and model? I would like see if I can find some specs on the product to see if there is possibility that it may be that current draw is close to the 500mA maximum allowable.

I have a dell optiplex GX 620 with 2.8GHZ processor and 2GB of memory. It has Windows XP Home installed. Also, no usb device is recognized such as a memory stick. Thank you for the help.

#8 just me

just me

• Members
  • 126 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:04 PM

I actually meant the make and model of the hard drive, but since "... no usb device is recognized such as a memory stick", the problem does not appear that it is related to the current limitations of the USB port that I was attempting to pursue.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users