Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Memory Problem

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Tom804

Tom804

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:43 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:19 PM

A couple of days back I got guidance about increasing the amount of ram in my computer. It seemed easy enough but I must not have asked enough questions. I had 512mb and bought another 512mb but ran into a problem. Some applications, including Internet Explorer, would not run. :thumbsup: In the computer are 2 256mb chips, I added a 512mb chip to it. Is that a no-no? Do all of them have to be the same size or is there something that I've overlooked?

Thanks again,

Tom

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:42 PM

It shouldn't matter. I had that configuration on my old HP and it worked okay.
Changing (especially adding) RAM should not cause a problem. There may be something else going on that we are not seeing....
If you have a virus, this may be the cause of your woes - go to the Am I infected? What do I do? topic and see if they are able to diagnose a problem...
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#3 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

Good point JPHarvey. Although, it may also be possible that the newly bought ram was (is) the incorrect speed, or type (ddr/sdr etc.) for the motherboard, which would sometimes cause instability.

Tom804, you'll need to ensure that your motherboard can recognize/utilize the ram that you've just installed. If your motherboard won't recognize anything higher than 333mhz, and you've installed 400mhz, then there's problems.

You can post your specs (motherboard, and the newly purchased ram) and we'll try to help find the manufacturers specs on them, which will hopefully help to resolve this for you :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#4 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:59 PM

I agree stevealmighty.
Another item to bring up is "Dual-channel memory" controllers require "pairs" of memory modules.
See the Wiki article Here.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#5 Tom804

Tom804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:44 PM

Oh, boy, some things never change. The simplest of tasks always end up being a problem for me. Heck, I always get in the slow line at checkouts, too.

A couple of days back I inquired here about memory. The question was basically how much ram will my motherboard support. I got quick responses and a link to a site for memory. I wrote the specifics down and went to a local place. They ordered it for me and I installed it today. That's when my problems started. Originally I had two 256mb sticks in there. All I did was add the 512mb chip. At that point IE and my sim racing game would not run. I took the new stick out and the apps that failed to run before will now run. However, I've had the computer restart when I click on IE and it has even restarted with no prompting! I've done absolutely nothing else except install and then remove the 512mb chip. My AVG says I'm clean. What the heck do I have going on now and am I going to be able to use that 512 stick?

Sorry to be a bother, honest.

Tom

#6 JPHarvey

JPHarvey

• Members
  • 508 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:52 PM

With RAM clocks though, won't the MoBo down clock to a recognised speed?
[CPU]Intel E6600 Core 2 Duo @ 3.19GHz
[MoBo]ASUS P5N32-SLI Premium (nForce590)
[RAM]4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2-800 CL4 @ 710MHz
[GPU]XFX 8800 GTX 768MB [SLI] @ Stock
[PSU]CoolerMaster 1kW
[Audio]ASUS Xonar D2
[Case]Antec Nine Hundred
[OS]Windows Vista Ultimate 64
[LCD]SAMSUNG 226BW
[Other]WC'd CPU & SLI

#7 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:10 AM

Mismatched CAS (Column Access Strobe) timing will cause the problem that you are describing.

if your motherboard supports ddr 400 (pC3200), which has 3.0 CAS, all the memory must have this timing.

so, if your old RAM is PC2700 or PC 2100 (CAS 2.5), the mismatch causes this problem on some mainboards.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#8 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:30 AM

Very true, what everyone said. The fix to this is to match your ram (assuming that you know for a fact that your new ram can be recognized by your mother board).

The quick fix it to take out the old ram, leave in the new. If your motherboard recognizes the new ram (without the old ram installed), then you know it's safe to buy another stick and install it. Alternately, you could take out the new ram and leave in the old ram.

You're not a both Tom804! That's why we're here! :thumbsup:
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#9 Tom804

Tom804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:46 AM

Thanks again, gang. I'm going to do the ram-switching thing Steve mentioned and go from there.

PS I made a small donation when I signed up on this site.....next month I'll make a bigger one. This is just a great site. I look at it every day, read people's problems, read the tutorials.....ask for help :-)

Thanks for being here.

Tom

#10 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:15 AM

Glad to hear it Tom804! :thumbsup: We're here to help, so post back any time you want! :flowers:
Posted Image

#11 939me

939me

• Members
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:28 AM

another thing u might try is putting the 512 in the first slot

#12 Tom804

Tom804
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 53 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:20 PM

All's well that ends well. After changing the sticks around everything is fine. The durn 'puters sure are weird. :thumbsup:

Thanks again.....I'm sure I'll be back.

Tom

#13 nforce

nforce

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:43 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 06:12 PM

Well, seems like everyone is about finished in this topic (darn I got here late) but this also sounds exactly like the problem you can have when you put high-density ram into a non-supporting motherboard. (detects half of what you have, crashing, etc)
Just so everyone knows....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users