Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dvd Rom Messed My Router?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 afkc88

afkc88

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:48 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:09 PM

Hey,
Today I tried installing a DVD rom. When I booted the computer my wireless internet would not connect to the router. My computer is the host of the router. I checked my bios and other various settings/configs, and cannot figure out what wrong. When playing around with the settings I went into device manager and into wireless adapter and changed the config setting from the routers and clicked the windows config button. For some reason that worked for my computer, but only my computer. I can connect but the router still is not putting out a signal. I can bypass the router and have internet access but once again, no wireless. I have a Netgear WGT624 router and they outsource their customer service to people are very hard to understand if at all. I would be happy to get any insight what so ever.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:48 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:25 AM

Have you tried jumping into your router and check all those settings. And what do you mean your computer is the host of your router.

Gavin Seabrook

#3 afkc88

afkc88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:04 PM

By host i meant the router is directly connected into my computer (the one having problems). The manual and cd rom installation referred to this computer as the ''host''. And, no i have not checked the router setting, i have misplaced the number that i would type into the URL to get to those settings. How do i get to them? But from the looks of the program the settings have not changed.

#4 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:15 PM

Go to Start>Run> and type CMD in the box and hit ok. Once the "Command Prompt" comes up, type the work "ipconfig /all". That will display a listing of your network connection. The number you will want to use for your access will be listed under "Default Gateway". When you are done with the command prompt window you can type "Exit" in it. So say if your IP scheme is 192.168.1.-, 10 to 1 your router will be typed in the url bar as "//192.168.1.1" and that will bring up your router. Check your setting, and also check your Event viewer "start>control panel>administrative tools> event viewer" and check the "System" option for any warnings or errors and post back.

Gavin Seabrook

#5 afkc88

afkc88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:02 PM

I input the default gateway number into the URL to find that the router is username/passworded. The router was not set up by me but a family friend. Im trying to contact that person, hopefully they still have that info so i can access the router. Ill be sure to get back ASAP.

#6 gavinseabrook

gavinseabrook

• Members
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 10:55 PM

You might wanna try the following. I will type it in User/Pass format

admin/admin
admin/
admin/pass
admin/1234
/admin

Those are most default for linksys and netgear routers.

Gavin Seabrook

#7 afkc88

afkc88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:03 PM

I tried those names and passwords and no luck. The person who in stalled this router doesn't have the info for it. Do I have to re-install it to get the name and password set up correctly?

#8 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 30 January 2007 - 06:52 PM

another quick user/pass to try: admin/password My neighbors unprotected wireless netgear router is set to that (I've tryed to tell them!), and I'm considering just changed their password and leaving a note at their house, unprotected stuff really bothers me. :thumbsup:

When playing around with the settings I went into device manager and into wireless adapter and changed the config setting from the routers and clicked the windows config button.

Do you mean you set your computer to a static ip instead of a dynamic ip? I'm kind of confused.

On the back or on the side of most routers there will be a reset button that will reset it back to the factory settings from when you got it, use that as a last resort, but ONLY if you are confident enough to set your router back up again.

Hope that helps! :flowers:

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users