Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Administrator Password

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
3 replies to this topic

#1 smparr

smparr

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

Hi, I'm Sherrie, new to this site! My dad gave his old computer to my kids. He got the computer from someone and never had the administrator password. Now my daughter wants to do IM but the computer requires the administrator's password to set up the IM. Is there any way to bypass this or change the password? Thank you! Sherrie

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Kyle

Kyle

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:02 PM

Hi Sherrie, sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but we cannot help you bypass/change the password. We would like to believe you, but we cannot be sure. We would like to help but the rules hold against it. Quoting from rules:

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures.

All the Bleeping Computer rules can be found here: BC Board Rules

So all you can do is reformat that computer in question. Even though most members are honest in these cases, some concoct tales. You also might want to upgrade the Operating System(AKA OS) to a newer version of Windows - Example: Windows XP.

Warm regards
Kyle

Edited by Djk, 23 January 2007 - 02:11 PM.

Regards,
Kyle

#3 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:02 PM

Just to be clear, is this McAfee or another security software that's asking for a password? Win 9x*Grinler doesn't have an administrator account or password, normally.
Posted Image

#4 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:26 PM

Djk has paraphrased the BC's policy in this situation.

It makes no difference what password might be required.

This topic is closed.
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users