Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Oulook Express

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 feathers50

feathers50

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:00 PM

When I try to forward or reply to messages in Outlook Express, I get an error message that says The connection has been unexpectedly terminated and the message doesn't go out. I can send new messages even though after they have been sent, I still get the same error message. What do you think is the problem? :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:29 PM

See if anything here will help:

Link: How to Troubleshoot Error Messages Outlook/OE

Edited by hillbillygreek, 23 January 2007 - 04:29 PM.

#3 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

It may be in the way OE is configured.
Have a look at How To Configure Outlook Express 6, and scroll down to 'Manual steps to add and to configure a new Internet e-mail account'.

Also see How To Set Up Outlook Express.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#4 feathers50

feathers50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:31 PM

I tried to above articles, but they didn't help. It seems to be set up correctly. Any other suggestions? Everything seems to work, except forwarding and replying. Although after sending a new message, I get that error message, but it goes out just the same, the replies and forwards do not.

#5 hillbillygreek

hillbillygreek

• Members
  • 397 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:45 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:30 PM

To determine whether or not its OE that is causing the error, try a different email client such as Outlook or Thunderbird to see if the error still happens. If neither of those is installed on your computer, download Thunderbird from the link below, install it, allow it to import your mail settings, & then try to forward or reply to your messages using it instead.

Download Thunderbird

Edited by hillbillygreek, 25 January 2007 - 04:44 PM.

#6 feathers50

feathers50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:15 PM

Thanks. I'm going to install Thunderbird and see what happens.

#7 feathers50

feathers50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 01:13 PM

I installed Thunderbird and tried to forward a message, but the same thing happened. So what else could be wrong? I double checked all the settings with my isp and everything seems to be set up right.

#8 fozzie

fozzie

aut viam inveniam aut faciam

• Members
  • 3,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:45 PM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 07:42 AM

Can you send any messages?

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 03 February 2007 - 08:25 AM

If you have XP2 and are using a third party firewall, try stopping your third party firewall from running while disconnected from the internet. Start the Windows firewall. Then try forwarding an email.
If the firewall is not the problem, I would kill spam filters, antivirus to test if one is causing the problem.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#10 feathers50

feathers50
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:26 PM

I can't send any messages now. It used to be that I just couldn't forward or reply. Now all I can do is receive.
I tried shutting off the fire wall and I don't have any spam filter, it still doesn't work.

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,619 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 04 February 2007 - 02:44 PM

Suggest you post a Hijack This log in the appropriate forum by following the directions in the link below. That will eliminate the possibility that your problem is caused my malware.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

You may also want to repair Outlook Express. The instructions are in the link below.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/263837

More info on OE and how to archive your saved messages before attempting the repair.
http://www.5starsupport.com/info/outlook-e...s.htm#archiving

Since you are experiencing the problem in both Thunderbird and OE I would suggest checking for malware first.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users