Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Working remotely

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Gedalneil

Gedalneil

Grand Fleegle

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 AM

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:09 PM

I saw another person work on someone else's computer remotely. How did they do that?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:27 PM

If the other computer was running Windows 2000 or Windows XP they were connecting to it most likely via something called Terminal Services. This is a built in service that allows people to connect remotely to your machine.

There are other products, such as pcanywhere and vnc that allow the same time of features.

#3 Gedalneil

Gedalneil

Grand Fleegle

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 25 March 2004 - 11:31 PM

How do I do this... I have windows XP

#4 Guest_MrSnausage_*

Guest_MrSnausage_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 27 March 2004 - 12:04 PM

If you have Windows XP Home, there is no built in function to allow yourself to connect to your computer remotely and take it over. You can invite other people in to your computer to help you with problems, but you need to be there to let them take control of your computer.

Windows XP Professional, does support remote access to it from any location using its Remote Desktop service. This will allow you to connect to your and take it over, seeing your screen as if you were right in front of it. If you have a firewall you will need to allow TCP Port 3389 to be reachable via the Internet.

If you dont have Windows XP Pro, you can use programs like PCAnywhere, UltraVNC, and PCDUO. All of them cost money except for UltraVNC.

#5 dudeman

dudeman

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  

Posted 05 April 2004 - 05:10 PM

I use a program called F-secure. It uses SSH and you can do anything via port 22. i.e. Term serv, ftp... just about everything i could throw at it. Most people use it when they have a computer at home and they are away all the time(like me) put f-secure server on the recieving end and the client on the other. also if you use the client to connect to a recieving linux box, you don't need the server, you just forward the connection off that linux box... sort of a relay

dudeman

#6 raw

raw

Bleeping Hacker

• Members
  • 2,577 posts
  •  

Posted 15 April 2004 - 09:02 AM

VNC Virtual Network Computer is the way to go for remote desktop control
I use TightVNC on the Windows® workstations here. You can do everything just as if you are sitting there at the actual computer.

TightVNC

rawsig.png

rawcreations.net          @raw_creations

Current systems: WHAT OS, BackTrack-raw, PCLinuxOS, Peppermint OS 6, Kali Linux

and a custom Linux From Scratch server hosting a bunch of top secret stuff.

#7 BioHazard

BioHazard

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 29 May 2004 - 11:11 AM

i use remote admin. it allows you to connect to as many pc's remotly at one time that your network can handle. it allows connections for you to have "full control" "view only" "telnet" "file transfer" and "logoff shutdown or reboot"
it is a pay program but they have a trialware version to play with. its one for the pro's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users