Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is "spywarebot" Spyware?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 chuckm51

chuckm51

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:36 PM

The topic is self explanatory. I actually paid for it, thinking it was Spybot. When I run Spybot, it identifies SpywareBot as a problem. Should I undertake to remove it?

Secondly, if it is some sort of malware, I feel like I should attempt to get my money back, maybe through my credit card company.

Of course, I feel like an idiot for buying it if it is malicious.

Thanks

Chuck in Austin, where it's cold

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 12:44 PM

http://www.fbmsoftware.com/spyware-net/App...ion/SpywareBot/
SpywareBot

Description of SpywareBot
SpywareBot is a suspect anti-spyware application that deceptively leverages the Spybot Search and Destroy name, and provides users no End User License Agreement.

Recommendation for SpywareBot
It is recommended that you remove this software from your computer to secure your system from suspected applications that might threaten system security.

Trusted: No
Trojan: No
Chronic: No
Adware: No
Carrier: No
Browser Hijacker: No
Dialer: No
Commercial Keylogger: No
Remote Administration Tool: Yes
Suspected: No

Company Name: NA
Platforms Affected:
Methods of Distribution: NA
Variants/Versions:
Release Date: NA
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 chuckm51

chuckm51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:27 PM

Hi Buddy215,

Thanks for the advice...am scanning now with ZeroSpyware. After posting my question, I wen to msconfig and startup, and unchecked spyware bot and adWare alert...it repeatedly tried to reinstall itself in the startup file, and now I am getting a notice that msconfig is trying to add itself to the startup file! How odd is that.

I am also noticing lately that when I try to browse a different website, I am often being prompted that no internet connection is present. When I retry, it connects as normal. I think this is related to the spyware bot program, though I am not sure.

Anyway, thanks for your help. What a great resource Bleeping Computer is!!

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:50 PM

Use the Add/Remove program to uninstall Spywarebot. You may want to run a "real" spyware remover afterwards. Here is a link to a very good one.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Here is a link to an excellent online antivirus scan that will remove what it finds.

http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 chuckm51

chuckm51
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:23 PM

Hi Buddy215,

Thanks again...am running them now.
I see that SpywareBot is in my program files...Would it be safe to delete the entire folder? It does not show up in the add/remove progams function.

I am very hesistent to remove anything in the program files.

Thanks a third time

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,195 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:57 PM

If that is all that is in the folder there should be no problem in deleting it. I am wondering if Spywarebot is using a different name in Add/Remove. Might want to check and see. Just Google any program their that you don't recognize to find out what they are. I would do a file search also to find any leftovers.
After deleting the file(s) you should run Windows One Care free scan to remove leftovers in the registry. A lot of regular users here consider it the safest registry cleaner.
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm?s_cid=sah

I read in another forum that Spybot may still report Spywarebot. If that happens just shut down Teatimer and reboot and the warning should be gone.

#7 Dennis H

Dennis H

• Members
  • 893 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 05:02 AM

Howdy,

Hope I am not butting in.

I ran SUPERAntiSpyware yesterday after seeing it your response yesterday buddy215. The only malware it picked up was SpywareBot. It described it as a rouge spyware scanning program.

I had never heard of it before (until I read this post) much less downloaded it. Apparently "rouge" is to kind of a word to use when describing this program.

Any idea how this program would have gotten into my computer ?

Thanks for your time,

Dennis :thumbsup:

Edited by Dennis H, 24 January 2007 - 05:04 AM.

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:38 AM

SpywareBot is an program listed as a rogue on the Rogue/Suspect Anti-Spyware List. Bookmark that page so you can refer to it before downloading these types of programs.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users