Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Rk.exe

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 joebeaven

joebeaven

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:33 AM

Hi,

Every time I start up my computer, I get a black MS-DOS window open up with the address C:\WINDOWS\system32\winsecurityxp\rk.exe. I looked up rk.exe and it appears to be spyware. I tried downloading a tool to get rid of it but that didn't work. When I went to the system32 folder it didn't contain a folder called winsecurityxp and when I did a search for rk.exe, nothing was found.

Please could someone suggest how to get rid of the file?

Thanks,
Joe

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:14 AM

This is what you have:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/rk.exe-3934.html

Install and run Super antispyware in safe mode. Allow it to remove whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

As these things seldom come alone, run an online scan and let BitDefender quarantine whatever it finds. Let us know what it finds or if it finds anything it can't remove.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 joebeaven

joebeaven
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:42 AM

Hi,

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately I'm not able to start in safe mode. When I go to Boot.ini in msconfig the Safeboot option is greyed out. I tried running Super Anti Spyware anyway but my computer restarted after about 15 minutes - this happened twice.

I started running Bit Defender. It was running for 2 hours and said it had 18 left so I had to stop it.

Thanks again,
Joe

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,616 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:07 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 01:57 PM

have you tried going into safe mode by the method below?

To get to Safe mode, press the F8 key when Windows starts to boot. You have to do this BEFORE you see the first "Windows" screen. You can start tapping away as soon as you get by the BIOS startup screen or the manufacturer's splash screen.

You can also post a Hijack This log by following the directions in the link below:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 03:03 PM

Post a hijackthis log as buddy215 suggests. You probably have a rootkit infection. I have seen this file elsewhere as of late. AVG Anti-spyware identifies it as follows:

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winsecurityxp\rk.exe -> Rootkit.Agony : Cleaned with backup (quarantined)

However, there are other files that AVG will not detect. They will have to be identified and removed.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,606 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 AM

Posted 29 January 2007 - 02:13 PM

I have split your HJT log away from this thread and moved it into the HJT forum.

You can find it here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/79624/rkexe/

Now that your log is posted there, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files on your own, etc.) unless advised by a HJT Team member. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show it the log you already posted. Further, any modifications you make may cause confusion for the member assisting you and complicate the malware removal process.

Please be patient and wait for a response from an HJT Team member. It may take a while to get a response because team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers who will help you out as soon as possible. While waiting, please DO NOT make another reply to your log until it has been responded to by a member of the HJT Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have no replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response, a team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another HJT Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users