Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How Do I Completely Delete My Browsing History?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 wwejosh

wwejosh

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:29 AM

Hello.
I want to delete my browsing history, so it is 100% impossible to see my browsing history.
What do I need to do this(specifically this nothing else, easy to use, no side effects, possibly for just one user)?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:17 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:37 AM

What browser/version are you using?
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:10 AM

Hi thanks for your reply jgweed.
My browser is Firefox.

Thanks mate.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:28 AM

Check out CCleaner. It's a great little freeware program that will clean temporary files, URL history, cookies and download history in Firefox.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 wwejosh

wwejosh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 74 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 08:52 AM

Hi thanks mate.
So in using this program will that make my browsing history 100% impossible to view?

Thanks.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:17 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:18 AM

It should do the trick. In the settings of CCleaner there is an option to securely delete the information. What this means is that not only does it delete the files in question, but it also overwrites that section of your HDD numerous times, making it next to impossible to retrieve anything.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 11:14 AM

BE VERY CAREFUL using any cleaning application! Unless you are very careful, they can often candidate files that should not be deleted.

For Firefox:

Tools/Clear Private Data will bring you to a drop down menu that gives you choices about what to delete (be careful about mass-deleting cookies, since some of them are needed).

For a longer-term solution:

Tools/Options/Privacy tab: change the "remember visited page" to zero days. Under Private Data, check "always clear...when closing Firefox" and use "settings" to choose which kind of data to clear.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Atribune

Atribune

• Malware Response Team
  • 57 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:15 PM

Firefox's built in cleaner and ccleaner and even my own temp file cleaner, ATF Cleaner, will not make them 100% unrecoverable. They will make them so you can't see them with a normal file search.

The data is still there. The only way to truly get rid of it is to write 0's to the freespace on the drive after you have deleted everything and even then there is a chance that some stuff is still recoverable.

#9 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,782 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:57 PM

By the way, Atribunes ATF Cleaner he mentions can be found here.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users