Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upper And Lower Case Switch - Music Notes As Periods!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 lee4sharon

lee4sharon

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:24 AM

I have a weird problem on an XP Home system that was brought in for repair.
When you turn it on, it comes up with a message. The upper and lower case of the message is switched as shown. The periods are shown as music notes! (I have shown them as as %)
~~~~
wINDoWS cOULD nOT sTArT beCAUSE oF AN ErROR IN THE sOFTWARE%
PLEAsE rEPORT tHIs PROBLEM As:
LOAD nEEDED DLLs fOR kERNEL
PLEAsE cONTACT yOUR sUPPORT PErSON TO rEPORT THIs PROBLEM%
~~~~
If I attempt to go thru safe mode, the options for safe mode, safe with networking, etc, com up - with the same upper/lower case lettering. Choose safe mode option and you get the same message as sbove.

I booted with the XP CD to attempt repair, came up with a different error message.

I am stumped! I would assume a virus, trojan, etc.
I know I can pull the hard drive and format it in another system, then go from there, but trying to avoid that if possible!

Any thoughts on what has caused this issue?

Thanks!
Sharon

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 09:56 AM

Since you're familiar with yanking the hard drive - how's about yanking it, installing it in another system, and doing an antivirus scan of it from the "clean" system?

Depending on the virus, you may need to do a repair install - do you have the original XP installation CD?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 lee4sharon

lee4sharon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:06 AM

Yes I do have the CDs.

The only problem I have with putting it in another system is the possibly of the"bad" hard drive crashing the good system.
What are those chances?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:51 AM

The chances are slim (as long as you don't attempt to load the OS from the bad hard drive). And, if it does crash, simply remove the bad hard drive and reboot - XP should be robust enough to recover from that.

FWIW - this'll be easier and less prone to crashing if you do it with a USB cable rather than plugging it into the inside of the system. A decent USB drive caddy will set you back about $45 US (less if you order online).

Make sure that the antivirus definitions on the new computer are up to date. You may even want to download a couple of free antivirus programs to ensure that you get everything that's on the drive.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users