Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

need help retrieving outlook addies and emails

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mechanos

mechanos

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:50 AM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:11 PM

until recently i've been running dual OS's xp pro on each drive(C:,D: ), last night i decided to reformat one drive(C: ) and install linux. after i reformatted i got ntldr missing on the drive (D: ) i was planning on keeping, so i reinstalled xp pro on c:, keeping D: intact, I can not log into the D: operating system and have to retrieve my girlfriends email addresses and emails from Outlook (this is why i use hotmail)before i can do a clean install. running XP PRO and outlook 2003, could anyone tell me the pathname. I am in a load of trouble if i lose her emails again. i dont need to import them to the new OS or anything, just get a hard copy. I tried google and everything else i can think of. If i overlooked anything obvious i humbly apologize. i have done this before but didn't have the forsight to write down the pathname, any help or suggestions will be GREATLY appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 02:46 PM

Outlook

Windows XP

Double-click on "My Computer," or choose "My Computer" from the Start menu
Browse to C:\Documents and Settings\username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\
Note: If you cannot see the Application Data folder, click on Tools Options Show Hidden Files and Folders.
Copy Outlook.pst to a back up location, i.e., C:\ username\Documents

Edited by Bear, 02 January 2005 - 02:46 PM.

Posted Image

My System Specs

Comptia A+, Network + & MCP certified.

#3 mechanos

mechanos
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:02 PM

thank you, is there something i can use to extract the information for a hard copy, or do i just need to plug it into the new documents folder after i set outlook back up?

when to try to open with notepad its encrypted?

Edited by mechanos, 02 January 2005 - 03:03 PM.

#4 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 03:44 PM

when to try to open with notepad its encrypted?

It's not encrypted but it is a file that you won't be able to read in Notepad. Files that are .pst can only be read using Outlook or a .pst file reading software. When you need to use the backup and you import it into Outlook it will work fine. HTH

Posted Image

My System Specs

#5 phawgg

phawgg

Learning Daily

• Members
  • 4,543 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:50 AM

Posted 02 January 2005 - 05:35 PM

Thank you both. I'd wondered about that. :thumbsup:
patiently patrolling, plenty of persisant pests n' problems ...

#6 Bear

Bear

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2005 - 06:30 PM

Your welcome :thumbsup:
Posted Image

My System Specs

0 user(s) are reading this topic