Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Digital Camera

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 diyahnih

diyahnih

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:10 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 02:12 AM

Hello,
This question may not go here--but here it is. I have Windows XP home on my computer. I recently bought a Olympus C3000 zoom digital camera from a friend. It has the usb cable to download the images from the camera to the computer. Problem--Windows Xp home does not reconize the usb device. I get this message:
t"he computer cannot detect the scanner or camera. Please make sure the device is turned on and is properly connected to the computer". I did everything that the manuel and Microsoft said to do. Didn't work. I downloaded a driver file from driverguide.com that i thought might work-Win.98exe--it didn't. I don't have the Cd that came with this camera, which would have made things alot easier :thumbsup: . Does anyone have any ideas how to get Windows Xp to reconize this camera, or any driver file that might get it to work?? :flowers: . Any help would greatly be appreciated.

diyahnih

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:10 AM

Hi diyahnih.
According to Canon, the C3000 requires the installation of the standard usb driver for Win 2000, located here, before XP will recognize the camera. It will appear as a seperate drive.

#3 diyahnih

diyahnih
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 01:03 PM

Hitman,

downloaded the windows 200 file, extracted the files, restarted computer & turned on camera.

Baloon message:
USB Device Not Recognized---one of the usb devises attached to this computer has malfunctioned, and Windows does not recognize it. The locatio of the device is shown in bold type-USB Root Hub {2 ports=Unknown Device}

Windows message box:
the computer cannot detect the scanner or camera. Please make sure the device is turned on and is properly connected to the computer. :thumbsup:

Could it be the computer?

diyahnih

#4 projectfocus

projectfocus

• Members
  • 474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:04 AM

Do you use mapped drives on the machine. This sometimes can cause issues with the drive letter allocation within XP. Also have you tried another device in the USB port. Or tried the camera in a different port. It could be the USB port that is at fault.
Posted Image

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 31 January 2007 - 05:32 AM

If your camera has different transfer modes set it to PTP and see if that helps.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 stevealmighty

stevealmighty

Bleepin' WormBreath

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 31 January 2007 - 09:23 PM

If your camera has different transfer modes set it to PTP and see if that helps.

Good point. Some camera's have to be on a certain setting in order for a computer to recognize them. Others require a certain software to work correctly (specialty cameras etc.).

You might want to read the manual (certainly not saying that you haven't already) and see if there's a setting that you need to put your camera in either before/during or after you attach it to your computer.
War produces veterans, wounded both physically and mentally. They have sacrificed for us.....and it is now our job to help these veterans, as they have already helped us in ways we will never know, in ways that we cannot fathom, and in ways that we take granted every day.
Posted Image

#7 alumbagh

alumbagh

• Members
  • 133 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:10 PM

Posted 20 April 2007 - 11:26 AM

Hi, a simple answer may be to get a usb connected multi card reader such as the very effective but very cheap one (about 15) from Jessops.
Just plug into a usb port, shove in the card out of your camera and your worries would be over.

#8 NukaCola

NukaCola

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 AM

Posted 23 April 2007 - 05:38 AM

yeah card reader is the best solution.
it is at least the fasters and easiest way to get the images to the computer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users