Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win Xp Pro Installation Headache

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Rikinva

Rikinva

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:51 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:47 PM

I did a repair installation of Win XP as part of the process of transferring my hard drive to a new PC & motherboard. My objective was to retain all of the programs and data I had installed, but upgrade Win XP so it would be compatible with my new M/B. It worked.... except that Win XP now thinks it is installed on the "D" drive, instead of the "C" drive. All of the program icons appear on the desktop, but none of them work -- because the programs were originally installed on C!! The software is there, but I just can't use any of it -- all the pointers try to go to the "C" drive to run a program, but there is no "C" drive!! And Disk Management will not allow me to change the drive letter of the system disk.

Any suggestions how to recover from this problem? If I could just get Windows to think it was installed on "C" instead of "D" -- but how??!! Is there anything I can do short of doing a complete format and reinstall, losing all my programs??

BTW... when I try to repair this installation, DOS shows this drive as "C"!! Go figure!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 mattie

mattie

• Members
  • 32 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:55 PM

cant you just change the target on you icons from c to d.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:37 AM

Where were Windows and the programs installed on the old system?
Where are they installed on the new system?
When you installed the drive in the new system, did you have other (bootable) drives in the system?(Windows prefers the original boot sectors over new ones - the way around this is to install with only the hard drive you want to boot in the system).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Rikinva

Rikinva
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 10:49 AM

John... what you have suggested is my problem. Boy... I have learned a great deal from all the mistakes I have made in tha last three days trying to move a RAID set to a new motherboard. I have made one mistake after another -- all preventable -- all the fault of my own ignorance. Knowing what I know now, if I could start over, I could make the change quickly and effortlessly, with no errors.

I'm okay now, but I had to do a clean install of XP. Now I will have to reinstall all my software (my data is all intact in a separate partition, thank goodness!).

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:56 AM

OK, here comes the lecture.... :thumbsup:

A good imaging program will prevent this pain in the future. I use Acronis True Image myself (about $50 US), but there are other freeware versions available on the web.

With a disk image saved, you can hose your system all day long - then in 20 minutes you can reset it to where it was at the point where you made the image.

With some creative imaging techniques, some creative partitioning, and scheduled backups you can actually be back to the state that you were at before the crash occurred with minimal fuss and bother.

FYI - one of the first things that I do when setting up a new system (with more than 1 partition or drive) is to point the My Documents folder to another drive. Then, when imaged, that drive includes the "pointer" to My Documents on another drive - so I'm able to access my data without having to restore a backup (presuming that the partition/drive with My Documents on it is OK).

I also make an image with all of my "base" programs installed, that way I can function immediately after restoring the image. These include Firefox (with the profile stored in My Documents), Thunderbird (with the profile stored in My Documents), and MailwasherPro (the settings are saved in the registry). This keeps me from having to resetup all my profiles and accounts.

Edited by usasma, 24 January 2007 - 07:58 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,571 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:51 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 02:08 AM

For future reference:

How to replace the motherboard on a computer that is running Windows Server 2003, Windows XP, or Windows 2000.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:51 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:35 PM

If you installed XP with printers and such plugged into your computer, you can get this issue too. The only solution is a clean install.

When installing XP, only have the minimum plugged into it: Power, Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Ethernet, Speakers. Nothing else.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users