Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Corrupt Messages In C:\\

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:59 PM

I am using Windows XP Home with SP2 operating system laptop. I dont know when and why happend but i found a corrupt msg when i tried to restart my system. after booting, i was shown a msg to run chkdsk. i did so and i found some files with wierd fonts and they are truncated. when i open C:\\ folder, i found many files being created with wierd fonts and they could neither be deleted nor renamed. i am getting the msg that path to the file is not found. also when i am trying to install any software, i am getting a msg, that the a file cannot be created in C:\\startmenu and the software is not installed properly. the files with wierd fonts are creating each time i restarted my systema n ofcourse the corrupted msg in the system tray. i am sure this is not any trojans or sypware. can anyone help how to remove those wierd fonted files and make my system normal without reformatting the whole system??? i tried to restore my system to back, but unfortunately i have not created a resotre point before. may be becaouse of that, i cud not able to restore my system as well.also i could not able to create any new folder in that directory having errored files. kindly help. i cannot format my whole system as i have heaps of data in it.

thanks in advance for responses.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:05 PM

Hello,

Just to make sure that it is not malware, try these online scans

http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

go to start then run and type in sfc /scannow

If the problem persists, I would download a very handy free product called advanced windows care http://www.iobit.com/

hope this helps
Regards,

Alan.

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:24 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:22 AM

Does the error screen refer to C:\\ or was it C:\ \ (note the blank space between the slashes) or C:\ ? The first one will give errors, and the 2nd one is also likely to give errors.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:36 PM

Dear nigglesnush and usasma!

Thanks very much for your time and kind assistance. i am currently uing Norton Internet security 2007 and already checked for any malware. i found nothing. i also tried panda online scan when someone suggested. but no use. the iobit u have suggested is fine. i will check with that as well. the answer for usasma is C:\\ without spaces. to be precise, the corrupted files are seen by just clicking c drive icon in 'My computer' (where program files folder exists). But now a stupid question raises in my mind, what is the difference between both paths???? can u eloborate it for me usasma??

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:55 PM

The C:\ is the proper path. The C:\\ is an incorrect path - that's why Windows doesn't want to work with it. There are circumstances where the double \\ does work - but it's usually on networked applications/drives.

Why your system is doing this - I dunno! I'll look around and see if there's something on the web about it.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:20 PM

usasma,
it is showing just cannot delet file: cannot read from the source file or disk- when i am trying to delete any such corrupted files. also, i could able to create a new folder in that drive now and finally, it showing the C:\ only and not C:\\. sorry about that. if i try to access any folder (say, xxx) with boxes, phis and some greek letters, i am getting the msg like C:\xxx is not accessible. The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable. i ran sfc \scannow also. now i remember one foolish thing, i tried to boot up my system faster and so i created a note pad and copied the script from internet and then changed the notepad extension as boot.bat (i forgot) something like that, i tried to restrat after 1 day (i usually left my system in hybernation mode). system taking hell lot of time, so i thought to delete that file without renaming the original file to *.bat and i didnt realised it either. after the next boot, i could not able to see the window screen. then i pressed last known good configuration and i logged on, then started showing the corrupted msgs. now please suggest what should i do??? may be this is the sole reason. even after running the sfc \scannow the boot file didnt replaced and still it is not there in C:\ drive. but i could able to restrart the system normally (ofcourse with few seconds more time).

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 08:38 AM

There are many different reasons for this occurring - and I looked at most of them yesterday as we had a system in the shop with similar problems.

I'd suggest a repair install of XP at this point - too much is messed up with the installation to fix easily (IMO).

Since at least part of this problem was found during the use of chkdsk, I'd also suggest downloading a free diagnostic utility for your hard drive from the manufacturer (of the hard drive) website.

#8 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:21 PM

Usasma, thank you so much for your kind suggestion. that is probably a pretty good idea of running diagnostic utility from the website before formatting my system!!

Your effort in diagnosing my problem is well appreciated.

Raj

#9 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 04:25 PM

dear nigglesnush,

the idea of using iobit windows advaanced care is ultimate. it rocks man. it solved some of corrupted msgs problem and my system running a bit faster than before as well after resolving some registry problems. excellent. thanks for that.

#10 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 05:01 PM

No probs, glad it worked out
Regards,

Alan.

#11 Cool n dynamic

Cool n dynamic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 27 January 2007 - 01:03 AM

hi guys

i did chkdsk /f which removed almost all the corrupted files (almost 50) and left only 5 in my c:\ now. when i try to defragmented my c drive, it suggested me to run chkdsk /f as c drive is corrupted and cannot be defragmented. so i ran chkdsk /f (earlier i ran only chkdsk without /f). now my system is running fast. but i guess there is something which is essential is missing and so it is creating those weired fileneamed files. also, all those stupid files are 0 kb ones only.

neway my biggest worry is solved without formatiing my system. thanks to usasma and nigglesnush.

cheers

raj

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users