Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Upgrading Graphics Card

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:50 PM

Hello,

I have a dell dimension 2400 with intel extreme graphics. I got rid of the intel graphics and installed a GeForce fx5500; 128MB. For some reason, my machine did not come with an AGP slot, As a result, I am limited to just a PCI graphics card. I have been searching for ages looking on loads of sites, Does anyone know where I can get a better card from?

Thanks in advance
Regards,

Alan.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:12 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:10 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 3000, which is pretty much the same system just a different version. I to am stuck with only PCI slots. It is not recommended to get PCI graphics, because of poor bandwidth and just the fact that PCIe x16 is better and even the older AGP is much better.

So I bought a ATI Radeon x1300 which is probably the best core for a PCI graphics card. Its worked great for being PCI. Can't play anything on high settings, but played games like Fable, Need For Speed Underground 2, World of Warcraft (runs excellent), and Warrock. the only complaint with it I have is it goes slow playing Guild Wars for some odd reason which no one can figure out. My other complaint about it which is also why PCi is bad is my friend jsut bought a PCIe x16 graphics card for only $20 more and its easily 10 times better. Here is the exact card I got: ATI Radeon x1300 Hope this helps!

Edit: I should also add if your looking for something cheaper perhaps getting an ATI Radeon 9250.

Edited by Sterling14, 22 January 2007 - 09:11 PM.

"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:12 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 09:43 PM

Hello,

Thanks for the reply, that card looks quite nice, I might get that one when I have enough saved up.
I know what you mean about the bandwidth, it makes me upset to see someone with an ancient AGP card going twice as fast as my lowly 5500. I just cant figure out why dell ships systems like this.

Any ways that looks like the next step, short of building a new system.
Regards,

Alan.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users