Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse Not Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tomcal

tomcal

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:35 PM

Hi, really could use your help. On startup mouse will not work. It's a PS2 generic mouse with wheel that has been working in the past. I tried a different mouse and it still doesn't work. Rebooting does not help. Did a system restore and mouse worked for 10 or 15 minutes then stopped, frozen. Using tab and other keys I managed to get into driver screen. There was no mouse driver shown, empty. Trouble shooting said no driver present. Later some how it started to work long enough to down load a mouse drive with wheel from MS. It again worked for 10-15 minutes and stopped. It starts to fail by first having jerky motion, freezes, un freezes and the stops completly. Again, got into drive screen and mouse driver was gone...empty. Ran a disc clean-up, defrag, spyware and antivirus with no help. I'm a novice at this so any help would be appriecated. This is a used computer someone gave me 2years ago and I don't have XP CD's. Also, SP2 is installed. Please, when responding, don't use any abbreviations or mid-high level terms. I'm a novice, keep it simple. Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 joygreen

joygreen

• Members
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:07 PM

Welcome! Somebody correct me, but I think PS2 mouses are old, old and require an adapter to plug into the right place. I remember having to toss a perfectly good mouse when I upgraded my machine (hard and software); The new ones don't have a ball, they use laser light and are sooo nice; and they have a wheel so you can scroll down a page without having to click and hold. I got a Logitech from BigLots for $8 when they are $28 everywhere else.

I think I read somewhere a condition when a mouse won't work in Safe Mode. Also, was it plugged in when you did your system restore? It should have been, but it sounds like you have given it every opportunity to get a driver; cannot imagine why it does not work, except its not plugged into the same place it was before you did the restore? Or you didn't put the adapter in and plugged it somewhere else? Or there's a short in the cord?

Mouses with a ball do get dirty, and you can sort of clean it, maybe use the vacuum? Why don't you do a search on PS2 mouse and see what you can learn about them. Also, if you go to start - my computer - control panel - system - device manager - hardware you can copy and paste your machine description into Notepad and then fill in some of the blanks describing your machine on your intro sheet.

I hope you don't think I'm asking dumb questions; I started a topic "No sound after system restore" that's getting full of boo-boo stories about plugs and switches and the like. So no offense intended, OK?
"Restore an environmentally sustainable and economically just America"

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:26 AM

Have you tried a USB mouse? Have you tried this mouse on another computer (in the unlikely event that both mouses that you tried on this computer were bad).

Unfortunately, if this is a Windows problem, it's likely that you'll need a legal copy of XP in order to start repairing it. If it's a major brand computer, you may be able to order restore CD's for it from the manufacturer.

If it's not a Windows problem, then it's possible that your protection missed an infection. So, as a start, I'd suggest these free, online scans:

http://safety.live.com/
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Finally, this can also be an issue with your hardware. You may have a bad mouse port on your motherboard. A USB mouse will show if this is the case.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Guest_uhaligani_*

Guest_uhaligani_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 08:57 AM

"Managed to get into the drive screen" Would that be by clicking the "mouse" in the Control Panel. If not that is a way to go. If you could get that far again (you would have to do this by a combination of using the tab and arrow keys to navugate) then, in the "mouse screen" click hardware. then get down to properties and select that. Now select update and select again. Let the computer browse for a driver. If XP did not find it on boot, I really agree with the previous posters - you need a new mouse! But this is worth a try.

#5 tomcal

tomcal
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:33 PM

I tried various fixes as posted by members. Going into control panel > mouse > hardware> properties produced nothing. properties did not respond. Could not look-up drivers, Troubleshoot also did not respond. I did manage to borrow a USB mouse and WOW it worked. It's been working for about two hours with not problems so far. I'll give it a day or two before I call it solved. Thanks for the virus download sites. No virus malware detected. I'm going to try my two PS/2 mouses on another computer to see if it's the mouses or a hardware problem with the PS/2 port.

Thanks for all you help. I hope this fix holds.

#6 TheTerrorist_75

TheTerrorist_75

• Members
  • 645 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:40 AM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:51 PM

The PS2 port could be going bad. To reset the mouse you would need to highlight the mouse in Device Manager and click remove then reboot the computer to redetect the mouse and let it install the stock drivers. If this didn't work then the port may be bad.
I am a transplant survivor.

Get Your Donor Card

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users