Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Waiting For Technology?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Peaches*

Peaches*

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:08 PM

I'm planning on building my own PC sometime soon, probably around my 16th birthday in July. :huh: The purpose of this PC will mainly be gaming. I've set a price of around $2500 CAD taxes in. I want to go dual core, with 2GB of DDR2 gaming RAM, probably a WD Raptor 150GB HDD, and a DX-10 video card. The reason I'm waiting until july is i need funding first of all, but I'm also looking forward to ATI's new R600 video card. Now I just need advice....should I go ahead with my plan, or wait until late 2007/early 2008? I've heard rumors of new AMD and Intel MOBO platforms on the way, DDR3 RAM, aswell as more affordable quad-core processors. I just don't want to spend all that money, and half a year later, more affordable, crazy good components come out and I feel like an idiot. :huh: Right now I'm using an upgraded Dell Dimension 4700 with a Intel P4 3.0 ghz, 1.5 GB DDR2 and 512MB ATI X1600 Pro. It can handle Counter-strike source with all high settings @ 1024 by 768 running at between 45 and 95 fps. I want a PC that will handle the games of tomorrow and Vista....should I just wait until a later date?? Please let me know if you've heard of any new products on the way? :thumbsup:

Thanks

Peaches*

Edited by Peaches*, 22 January 2007 - 05:25 PM.

What else is in the Teaches of Peaches*? Like SEX on the Beaches...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Peaches*

Peaches*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:22 PM

just checking picture

#3 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:51 PM

Well thats the thing with technology. I remember being told as a kid that an average computer becomes outdated within 3 months (probably sooner now). So if you wait even longer for the new stuff then all of a sudden you run into the same problem, "but if I wait a while longer this will be out or whatever", and this keeps going on and on. So I do suggest waiting it out for ATI drectx10 cards because I heard there supposed to be awesome. Also, maybe you could get a nice motherboard that has many choices for upgrading. I guess its really just up to you. Are you willing to stick it out until Quad cores become cheaper and DDR3 ram comes out. I hope this helps a little. :thumbsup:
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#4 dogslikeus

dogslikeus

• Members
  • 67 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 04:48 PM

the biggest issue i have with our current technological environment is mobos. specifically the sockets used for different processors. i'm and AMD guy and socket 939 (what i have) is on the out. AM2 is in it's infancy and there's already talks that it will soon be replaced with socket AM3. bear in mind that these are all incompatible so if in the future i want to upgrade to the newest processor, i'll also need to buy a new mobo which may necessitate the purchase of newer RAM as well. that whole deal is kind of a pain. intel is sticking with socket 775 for the moment, but who knows when that will change.

to answer your questions, it all really depends on what you want to do. a quad core processor would be nice, but i don't believe it's necessary at the moment for gaming, even the most extreme kind. it might benefit if you work with huge AV files, but that's about it. the same with DDR3. i'll admit i am not the most knowledgeable about RAM, but i have 2 1gb sticks of ddr400 and i have no issues playing the latest games or anything else. granted, i haven't ever used DDR2, but subjectively i think you'd be fine with DDR or DDR2.

i would definitely wait on the dx10 cards. since you have a june/july target date the R600 will be out, but there's talk of the R680 coming out late this year, so depending on how that shapes up you may want to wait on that. at the moment the G80 is eating up everything there is, but when dx10 becomes more and more prevalent it may turn out to be a weak card. who knows. there aren't any dx10 games yet to test it on so it's all speculation (as far as i know).

anyway, i hope this helped in some small way. i'd say your target date is fine. just research the parts and sockets and plugs before you buy to make sure they'll be around for a while.

and be sure to buy a good PSU. always always always buy a good PSU. at least 20A or more on the 12V rails (if you plan to use SLI or Crossfire, make sure it has dual 12V rails). if you plan on going high end dual core (or quad core) in addition to all the rest, i'd recommend at least 600W.

#5 Peaches*

Peaches*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 23 January 2007 - 05:27 PM

Yea, I've kinda decided to wait until around a year from now, but who knows, alot more info on upcoming products will be out in july, and i may have a clearer picture of what i want then. I think to handle all of vistas features...and have peice of mind that my PC will handle the graphics-intense DX-10 games on the way, I'll need to wait a bit. Anyway, thanks for the advice.

Peaches*

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:27 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 10:17 AM

Computer technology never sits still. The best you can do is to start studying up - by the time you're set to buy you should have enough info to make an informed decision.

There's not much question about what's available today - it's planning for the future that's critical here. And, with the rapid advances, even the definition of "future" is changing. How long will an AM2 socket support what you want to do? Surely an AM3 will support it for a longer time - but then you'll have to wait for that. It's all in the choices that you make - you'll be stuck with them for the rest of the life of that system.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:27 PM

Posted 25 January 2007 - 12:05 PM

By July everything will have changed. Intel's Core 2 lineup will have received an refresh, and they should have a new chipset out. Both ATI/AMD and nVIDIA should have a full DX10 line-up out. We should have more on both Triple-Play and SLI physics. AMD will have their new Core 2 killer processor out and a new socket (AM2+) out. PCIe 2.0 will be out.

AM3 has been delayed into the unforeseeable future. Also AM2+ processors should be backwards compatible with AM2.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#8 Peaches*

Peaches*
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 25 January 2007 - 03:58 PM

wow thanks Mr. Alpha. That seriously really helps. Because also my birthday is mid july, and once i have all the money i won't purchase until august, so i should be in the clear. :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users