Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I Am Unable To Get Any Updates Or Download Anything

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fantasyd

fantasyd

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 05:07 PM

MY SISTER PASSED ON AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING TO USE HER COMPUTER, THE REGISTERATION SAYS OEM FROM DELL, BUT THEY WONT GIVE ME AN ACCOUNT. THE COMPUTER HAS XP HOME EDITION SP1 AND I HAVE WENT TO MICROSOFT FOR THE SP2 AND ALL UPDATES AND HAVE SPENT MANY MONTHS & HOURS TRYING NOTHING WILL DOWN LOAD. ALL I WANT TO DO IS MAKE SOME STILL PICTURE MOVIES WITH AUDIO AND PUT ON A DVD FOR VIEWING ON A TV FROM A DVD PLAYER. SEEMS LIKE ALL PROGRAMS STOPPED WORKING USED TO HAVE DIRECTX 9 FOR A TV CARD I PUT IN BUT IT REVERTED BACK TO DIRECTX 5 AND THE MEDIA PLAYER WAS 11 BUT REVERTED BACK TO A LOW VERSION AND TOOK ALL MY MUSIC I HAD STORED ALL IS LOST....DONT KNOW HOW TO USE THE REGISTRY OR EDIT IT AND COMPUTER WONT BACK UP ANYTHING LOST PARTITIONS ALSO AND DONT KNOW HOW TO REPARTION SOOOOOOO COMPLICATED AND THE SYSTEM RESTORE WILL NOT SET POINTS NOR RESTORE. MAYBE SOMEONE CAN HELP ME WITH 3 PARTY SOFTWARE OR WORK AROUNDS. ANY ADVISE WOULD BE MOST APPRECIATED, AS TOO MANY WASTED HOURS FOR NOTHING IS GETTING SICKENING AND NOT BEING ABLE TO DO ANYTHING ON MY COMPUTER.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:27 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:00 PM

Hello,
Sorry to hear about your loss.
Can you post some more details about the system model etc
What security software is the laptop equiped with? as it could be the firewall is blocking traffic

I would start by running some free online anti malware scans try the following...
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/
http://www.pandasoftware.com/products/ActiveScan.htm

Try going to start run then type sfc /scannow
Regards,

Alan.

#3 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:27 PM

Posted 23 January 2007 - 07:44 AM

A little tip about internet courtesy... all CAPS is considered screaming. Plus it makes your post very hard to read. That said, I hope you get your problems straightened out.

#4 fantasyd

fantasyd
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 PM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 02:40 AM

:thumbsup: oops i am so sorry for the caps, you see i dont know too much about these things at all, the computer is desktop, dimension 2350, windows xp home edition sp1, it had nortonAV on it, but people said it was no good get rid of it. i thought i deleted it but i believe it is still in here somewhere....only have Adware SE personal in firewalls will apply in the windows update for protecting computer no settings will stay slow IE now finally did get directx 9 to download & install again probably for the 10th time. I think problem is the the partitions are lost and running OS's on top of one another because soooooo many numbers always show up for KB GB MB and before it showed 256MB 2.20 GHZ. Multiple files of the same thing appear over and over. I guess i dont need to be on one, seems like the only thing i can do is search endlessly for only spyware, malware, virsus's, etc. etc. programs and then i dont know what to trust i download and download some take some i cant find they wont go to a save folder always says open?????? it is non stop seeking answers and tooooooooo much reading and learning i only want to make some dvds with still pictures, wanted to turn my vhs tapes into dvd but the capture card i was sold didnt work along with its software. I put in a dvd burner but the pc doesnt regonize it. After endless jumper changes and trials i gave up. but here i am back at it again for 3 months 12 hrs a day trying everything....I guess the register is also messed up. Thank you so much for your kind help and suggestions.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:27 AM

Posted 24 January 2007 - 04:00 AM

Norton can be difficult to remove. Check out this link for more information on how to remove it completely.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users