Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Career Opportunities

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Ryan250

Ryan250

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:31 PM

Hey everyone. First off I want to say great work on the website. I have been a long time lurker, decided I would finally sign up!

Here is my story:

I am currently taking my pre requisites at Devry University in the Chicago land area. I am interested in pursuing a career in becoming a "Network System Admin' or a "Computer Technician".

BUT I want to get out into the workplace to job shadow these careers before I make a commitment and drop loads of money on an education. From personal experience, finding companies to job shadow is rather difficult, unless you have connections.

So that brings me here. I was wondering if anyone could give me a few tips/ideas or personal experiences with these jobs. Overall, though, I would like to have a better grasp and understanding of both jobs. If anybody has an ideas or tips, please don't hesitate and point me in the right direction. I will be eagerly awaiting everyone’s feedback!

Thanks for your time.

Ryan

Edited by Ryan250, 22 January 2007 - 05:17 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,011 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:00 PM

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:08 PM

Hmm. A couple thoughts. I'm sure there is a career placement center on your campus which would also be involved in internships and externships. Discuss with them your concerns, and they might be able to match you up with something so you can get that shadowing experience, or they might be able to provide you with other contacts that would be able to get you shadowing experience.

Another possibility: perhaps you could discuss the matter with folks in information tech. services on your campus. They might let you shadow or give you practical experience. They might know of someone you could shadow. I definitely think it's worth looking into.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users